AMC 20 axle bearing help

AMC 20 axle bearing help

surfbum

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 CJ7... 258 motor... T-18 trans... Dana 20 case... Dana 30 w/ lockrite... AMC 20 w/ detroit and 1 piece axles.
Had a bearing go in my AMC20 axle over the weekend. I was already planning to install 1 piece axles by Moser or Superior and a lockright over the summer. When I pulled the axle out, the bearing and race came out(actually they FELL OUT) in pieces. The end of the tube is grooved and rough where the race would be(I guess). This is my first time opening up a AMC20 . I'm used to GM axles. Since everything fell out, I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to look likeThe pics are not great but I'm looking for a second/third opinion. The axle is probably toast, but my concern is the housing where the race/bearing will ride. I don't want to throw money away. Do you guys think I can save the tube ? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• April 2011 012.jpg
    April 2011 012.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 3,094
  • April 2011 013.jpg
    April 2011 013.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,428
  • April 2011 014.jpg
    April 2011 014.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,360
  • April 2011 015.jpg
    April 2011 015.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 891
I can't tell by the pic's, but if it's ate up, it sounds like it's up grade time.

OK....Just tried to get the pass. side off and its worse. I've got all kinds of play in the axle. I can pull the hub in and out almost a half inch.:( My new brake shoes are coated with 80w90 gear lube and to top it off, I can't budge the hub. I had my big puller on there with the impact gun to no avail. Since I've already decided the axles are done, I broke out the flame hammer (AKA Oxy/Acetalene torch) and heated the hub up while I had the impact gun hammering on it.... and STILL NOTHING !!:bang:
Anyone got a line on a narrow trac rear axle with 3.54's ???.... think I'm in the market for one. :censored:
Thanks

Do the factory axles use a race in the housing or is it just a 1 piece roller bearing that is pressed on the axle. The last pic shows a thin piece of metal that I removed from the housing before I pulled the inner seal out. Trying to figure out what that is as I really would like to save my axle housing if possible. I can remove the brake shoes on the PS and get the axle, hub, and backing plate off together and then remove the hub with my shop press. I just don't want to buy new axles and then eat up the bearings. Is this a common problem and is there a fix besides scrapping my housing??
Thanks

Yes the stock axles use a tapered bearing and a race.
If the housing will not hold a new race both snug and straight don't do it.
There's always a way to fix something, but in this case a used housing would be cheaper, a AMC20 isn't worth putting much money into.
If I were you I'd look for a used narow trak Dana 44 .

Old Dog,
Much thanks... I got the PS side off and that end of the housing looks 100% better than the DS. I think the PO might have tried using a shim under the race to make the DS fit tight and the whole race ended up spinning in the tube. I will take your advice and look for a Dana 44 narrow trac. What years should I look for and what mods will be required like moving the spring perches? I'm assuming a different length driveshaft. There's a guy here in Jersey up by Fort Dix that says he has a 10,000 sq ft warehouse full of Jeep parts. I called and he said he has AMC20 's and a Dana 44 but I want to make sure I get the right one. I know my axles are narrow trac with a 3.54 ratio and the spring perches measure 33.5" inside to inside. I appreciate your time. I want to make sure I know what I need before I drive up there. Thanks again

I'm more of a wide trac guy, but I beleive the narrow trac 20's and 44's
share the same width and same spring pearch width, back to a certain year
but I don't know what year that is.
I know theres someone here that can answer you though.:D

Old Dog,
Much thanks... I got the PS side off and that end of the housing looks 100% better than the DS. I think the PO might have tried using a shim under the race to make the DS fit tight and the whole race ended up spinning in the tube. I will take your advice and look for a Dana 44 narrow trac. What years should I look for and what mods will be required like moving the spring perches? I'm assuming a different length driveshaft. There's a guy here in Jersey up by Fort Dix that says he has a 10,000 sq ft warehouse full of Jeep parts. I called and he said he has AMC20 's and a Dana 44 but I want to make sure I get the right one. I know my axles are narrow trac with a 3.54 ratio and the spring perches measure 33.5" inside to inside. I appreciate your time. I want to make sure I know what I need before I drive up there. Thanks again

Just added some Dana 44 Swap stuff to the articles archive. When the material gets vet'ed by the moderator, you should find specs on a number of Dana 44 donor machines. Driving with an AMC20 stock rear is like walking around with a snake in your pocket.... it can bite you any time.

I had the exact same problems with my 79. I did a full float conversion all custom built by mitchell differential. I then drove the jeep 1000 miles 2 days later. It rode smoother and quieter than ever. The conversion cost 1100 dollars and took a while to get as each is built by hand for each customer but is alot easier to install and it only took about an hour to install but was alot quicker and more painless than a complete rear axle swap.

Surfbum the spring perchess on the narrow tracks and the wide tracks are the same as far as position. The wide tracks have a 1/2 inch wider perch not a real big deal. You may have a better time finding one on an earlier 74-76 Jeep (CJ5 ).

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom