fcb212003

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7,
Origional Owner,
T4
All stock (for now)
I am going to be replacing my pinion seal on my AMC20 rear diff this weekend (hopefully). I have read a bunch of write ups about how to do this, but the one thing I can't find is the best way to stop the yoke from spinning when trying to remove the pinion nut. I am doing a full rebuild and I have already removed the axle from the frame.

Can someone help me out here? I really don't want to screw anything up trying to remove that nut.

I am going to be replacing my pinion seal on my AMC20 rear diff this weekend (hopefully). I have read a bunch of write ups about how to do this, but the one thing I can't find is the best way to stop the yoke from spinning when trying to remove the pinion nut. I am doing a full rebuild and I have already removed the axle from the frame.

Can someone help me out here? I really don't want to screw anything up trying to remove that nut.

This same job is in my future as I install a u-bolt yoke to replace the sandal-strap style that is easily bent and/or stretched.

There was a writeup here recently that said in brief forget about enough chocking to block the rear wheels. Instead, the recommendation was to use a humongous pipe wrench or stilson clamped across the yoke, with the end braced on the garage floor.

I have a 3 foot stilson wrench with jaws about an inch wide that will gap to six inches. May have to put a length of 4inch pipe on for a cheater-bar, but it'll work.
Take photos..... we all can use every bit of help getting some of the work done.

When i did mine i set the axle up on jack stands and took a rather large pipe wrench (60" rigid) and put it on the yoke and used a breaker bar to take it loose. but i think a 26" pipe wrench is the smallest you can use.

When i did mine i set the axle up on jack stands and took a rather large pipe wrench (60" rigid) and put it on the yoke and used a breaker bar to take it loose. but i think a 26" pipe wrench is the smallest you can use.

Instead, the recommendation was to use a humongous pipe wrench or stilson clamped across the yoke, with the end braced on the garage floor.

I was thinking about going this route, but I was affraid that it would bend or break the yoke. :bang: You think I even have to worry about that?

BAD NEWS! (at least for me).

I used this method yesterday and the bolt that holds the strap onto the yoke broke inside the yoke and the strap was all bent to hell:censored: To make matters worse....I never got the pinion nut off. That sucker is on there good. I guess I can try the pipe wrench method, but I need to find one I can borrow. I really don't feel like buying one of those wrenches.

Does anyone have any other idea while I search for a pipe wrench? I also thought about putting heat to it, but did not want to mess anything up by doing that. Thoughts?

Just wanted to update this and let ya'll know that I was able to remove to pinion nut. I borowed a 24" pipe wrench and a 4ft long breaker bar from my father in law. The breaker bar along must have weighed about 15 pounds. I hooked the pipe wrench to the yoke, put some pressure on the breaker bar, put a big scratch in the garage floor and it came right off!!! Now I have to get the broken bolt out of the yoke. i will post pictures at www.1983cj7.blogspot.com once I finish everything with the axle.

It wouldnt hurt to buy new yoke...it will make the new seal seal better :chug: with usauge the seal rubs a groove in the yoke and it wont seal as well...this is my excuse anyway:chug: better than digging the screw out of the old one

It wouldnt hurt to buy new yoke...it will make the new seal seal better :chug: with usauge the seal rubs a groove in the yoke and it wont seal as well...this is my excuse anyway:chug: better than digging the screw out of the old one

I have actually been thinking out doing that. i keep reading things online about these yokes being so worn out that they have to replace them anyways. I did a little looking around for prices and saw that they very a bit. Any recomendation on a good brand or good store to buy the yoke at?

Morris4x4.com Quadratrac.com 4wd.com they all will sell you the OMIX ADA or Crown ones which will be fine unless your going to push your jeep hard which it dosent look like you are :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom