AMC 20 Rear End on a 77 CJ5 - Fasteners

AMC 20 Rear End on a 77 CJ5 - Fasteners

Martyman17

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 Jeep CJ5
OK. What type of tool ( fastener remover ) do I need to get the cap off tho drain the fluid in my Jeep. The fasteners have some type of star shaped head. The auto parts store man obiously did not sell me the right thing...it started to strip out the first bolt. Any ideas? It was easy to do the Dana front end...but the AMC rear end is giving me fits.

Dana 4WD Transfer Case was easy to change oil too.

They are torx head or star bits. I don't remember what size though.
I replaced mine with hex heads the frist time I took them out.
I would sugest one on a 3/8 drive along with an impact driver. (not gun)
The drivers are cheap and you will use it again.

T-40 torx, fill flug on mine is an allen but not sure the size.

I think the fill plug is a 3/8 allen.

If you own a CJ and don't have the best set of torx drivers you can find you are on very thin ice. The only thing that will dependably remove a torx bolt is a torx driver and the Jeep is lousy with them. I recommend the Kobalt set from Loews, excelent quality and in house life time guarantee. You can and will break them from time to time. I like to use an Sears impact driver, not to be confused with an air impact, you hit this one with a hammer. You will still strip heads and break the torx bits but this works better than anything else I have found.:cool:

You can get a pair of vise grips to grab the outer edge of those bolts and use them to help with the initial loosening of the bolt, then throw them out and get some hex heads.

I gotta say I like them, with the correct socket I have had zero strip out.
I have a sears set of 3/8 drive T-15 to T-50 and can't remember exactly but they were approx $15.
What did annoy me was when I came across a male torks head bolt on my steering box I think it was and the only one on the whole rig so stop everything and go get a set of socket torks.:confused:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom