Amc 360 engine swap

Amc 360 engine swap
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 cj7 258 with a t-150 3 speed, 31x 10.50's but soon to be 33's . Stock all the way around for the most part. UPDATE : Now have my Goodyear 33's on it and it looks great !
I have a 1979 CJ7 with a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and have bought a amc 360 to swap in, I have a T-150 tranny and all stock axles. I need to hear from people who have made this swap and what are the pros and cons to doing it. I am already commited to the motor so am looking for more pros lol.

No cons, except fuel mileage... depending on the condition and model year of the 360, you might be surprised how much more power you have... It might feel like you have 3-258s under the hood...!

Did you get V8 perches/mounts from a donner Cj ?

You might also look into adding a traction bar on the rear axle to help with the power :D I bought the Advanced Adapters mounts and would not reccomend them for you If you can find some that bolt to the frame that would be better.

I didn't do my 360 swap (and mine originally came with a AMC 304 ) But I sure enjoy driving this one a lot more than my old '83 that had a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l in it!
Make sure you get a good radiator for the 360. Mine liked to overheat just a little on longer trips. I have a new radiator in it now (thanks Derf!) but probably will never drive it long enough to see if that cured the O/H problem.

You need to move the passenger side motor mount; cut the OEM one off with care and re-weld. Everything else behind the motor will bolt right back up as it came out including the bell housing and clutch. Make sure you have the right flywheel for the 360 as the AMC motors are externally balanced.

I have owned two CJ5s with AMC V8s. True, as others have stated, the gas mileage isn’t great particularly with lowered gearing and larger tires but that is just the way it is; stuff that 360 in and never look back, you will be happy with the power. If you haven’t replaced the two piece axles in the AMC20 you should do that too.

I will change the rear end after a bit, I use it as a daily driver so the overheating shouldn't be an issue as I dont drive it very much at a time. I have some NEW motor mounts coming in so will fix that problem soon. As far as the gas milage, I don't get alot right now so will be ok with it being bad. I am looking forward to the added power though! :drool: Thank you all for giving some good feedback! I appreciate it!

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom