amc 360 oil pump replacement

amc 360 oil pump replacement

biohazard cj

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 cj 5
i could of swore i did this thread alrdy but i cannot find it. ok well before it gets worse with my oil pressure being 20idle 50 rev cold and 10 idle 25-30 hot i am going to get the pump rebuild kit. and i was wondering is it something that the motor can stay in truck for anything i really need to keep care of and so forth i looked online for a step by step not haveing to much luck. or in your honest opinion do you think its better i give it to a shop to do for a 80 bucks ????

If your just getting a rebuild kit, you'll have to pull the oil filter housing / oil pump plate (it all the little bolts where the housing bolts to the timing cover. The gears slide out and you slide in the new ones. You will also be replacing the spring and plunger in the oil filter housing.

I's pretty easy.

sweet so what like an hour or two?
As long as nothing goes wrong (which I can't imagine it would). Just be sure to not over tighten the small bolts holding the housing to the timing cover and use a crisscross pattern to torque them.

As long as nothing goes wrong (which I can't imagine it would). Just be sure to not over tighten the small bolts holding the housing to the timing cover and use a crisscross pattern to torque them.
hey Bio.
let me introduce you to my friend Murphy.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

what kind of oil do you think i should put in it, this is really my first older semi worn engine. i think i put 10 40 last time idk. my old ford i had i used 20 50 or else i had no oil pressure.

I run 20 50 in mine - but I also rarely dip below 70 degrees in the summer.

I was told many years ago by a guy that liked to drive really old worn out :dung: that 1 or 2 pounds of oil pressure were all that were "necessary" for the engine to operate. As long as you can keep the lifters pumped up you were keeping the bearings oiled.

I offer this as a perspective on the seriousness of the situation not as any kind of solution.

Are you using an oil with zink and phosphorous in it or an additive to replace it, in the hope that the situation does not progress any farther??
:cool:

i thank you guys for your help. but unfortunitly that was not my problem. i have determined that i will NEED a rebuild. right now i am trying to figure out weather it will be better to buy a rebuilt motor or rebuild my engine. i mean if its gunna cost 1300 to rebuild my engine i mine as well buy a reman. . idk im so mixed feelinged about it.

i thank you guys for your help. but unfortunitly that was not my problem. i have determined that i will NEED a rebuild. right now i am trying to figure out weather it will be better to buy a rebuilt motor or rebuild my engine. i mean if its gunna cost 1300 to rebuild my engine i mine as well buy a reman. . idk im so mixed feelinged about it.
Huh? the oil pressures you stated in the first post of this thread are not that bad. They are a little off for AMC pressures but not nearly where you would need a rebuild.

Are there other problems?

well the low oil pressure. it takes 5-9 seconds to build pressure. and STILL on top of that im haveing problems with fuel pressure. lol ireplaced the pump but yea. its only at a higher rpm like 3grand go 4500. idk im getting very discouraged on this truck.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom