amc 360

amc 360

matt1982

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 cj7 304 t18 dana30 dana 20
i was wanting to get some advice on an amc 360 i dont know much about them and i have a chance to buy one to drop in my jeep but someone told me they aren't a very good engine should i just stick with the AMC 304

Hey Matt,

Don't know much about what you have etc, but here are a few helpful posts i found with simple Google search.

If you have some more "refined" questions, the more knowledgeable folks on here will be able to help you a lot more...

AMC 304 to 360 upgrade - JeepForum.com

304 vs 360 - one builders opinion - The AMC Forum - Page 1

The AMC / Jeep V8 Engine - Novak Conversions

AMC 360 vs AMC 304

Again found this quick with simple Google search of "AMC 304 vs 360" and these were just the top 4 of About 373,000 results

:chug: ~ JR

No Problem man... Seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions...

Some are saying the 360 has beefy-er parts, larger valves and cylinders etc so more power, others say the larger parts are actually weaker along with the block sidewalls, and the power output is minimal difference... I'm just starting out so have no opinion myself, My AMC 304 is (so far) plenty of power for my wishes, might even be a little wasteful actually as far as fuel mileage etc.

Lots to think about from many angles...

I'd read a whole :censored: load of info available, and weigh your personal applications with pros and cons to see what you feel will be best for you.

Either way good luck and happy trails man. :chug:

I have a 360 in my CJ7 . I say that there are no more problems with a 360 then there are with a AMC 304 except more power to break parts with :D

yeah my 78 had a AMC 304 in it and id run one again but the one i have needs going threw and i can get my hands on a running 360 its only has to run a year next year its getting a built 318 anyway

A Dodge motor? What tranny are you gonna use behind it?

yeah a chrysler 318 im gonna run a 727 if i can if not im going to put a 4speed in it

Mechanically, the AMC 304 , 360, and 401 are identical. The difference is bore, stroke, and valve duration per cam...and in the case of the 401, forged crank, rod, and pistons.

A 360 is no more susceptable to breakdown/failure problems then a AMC 304 . However, because of the larger bore of the 401, they tend to run hotter. The cylinder walls have less material.

thanks for all the help guys but i ended up finding a running 79 CJ7 set up how i wanted so i just bought it

im really happy with my 360 in my 79 CJ7 . also change out the stock distributor, yeah go with an hei distributor you will love it. i do

I have an AMC 360 now and am thinking about replacing it with something else. Suposedly the person I bought the truck from rebuilt the motor just 50 thousand miles ago. I get a few leaks here and there and have been trying and trying to seal it up. If I had the chance I would switch to something else. I am not sure if it's a good engine or a bad engine I am just telling you my own experience. Its a 1973 AMC 360 5.9 liter engine.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom