AMC Eagle 258 same as 258 in CJ's?

AMC Eagle 258 same as 258 in CJ's?

YukonJeep

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 304, T176 ,300t-case, D30, AMC 20(stock 2 peice!), 2.5 Rancho lift,half doors and bikini top for snowey days!
The AMC 304 in my 81 CJ5 is seized up. With nothing to be found in the wrecking yards, I found a few AMC Eagle wagons with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l /auto tranny in them. Are they the same AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l found in the CJ's? I assume being an AMC that the motor would bolt up to my factory (stock) T-176 tranny/Dana 300 combo....any help would be greatly appreciated!

The AMC 304 in my 81 CJ5 is seized up. With nothing to be found in the wrecking yards, I found a few AMC Eagle wagons with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l /auto tranny in them. Are they the same AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l found in the CJ's? I assume being an AMC that the motor would bolt up to my factory (stock) T-176 tranny/Dana 300 combo....any help would be greatly appreciated!

Same engine. The only diference will be a little diferent cam profile in the donor. But given the inherent grunt behind the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l you shouldn't notice any diference between the two. It's an insanely easy engine to work on, and lasts just about forever.

There are a couple of Waggies with the 360 in them, from what I understand, either the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l or the 360 are a direct bolt in to the CJ5 . How about the wiring? being only a few to the motor, I assume that I won't need to change it....

Be sure to get the fly wheel with the 360. it is balanced for that engine.:cool:

There are a couple of Waggies with the 360 in them, from what I understand, either the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l or the 360 are a direct bolt in to the CJ5 . How about the wiring? being only a few to the motor, I assume that I won't need to change it....

The 360 will be a direct bolt in. The AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l requires different motor mounts on the frame rail side , some extending off different wires such as the alternator and you'll need new exhaust. Grab a 360 and you wont have to modify anything.

360 is the easiest replacement remember to grab the flywheel :chug: Any reason that you dont want to rebuild the AMC 304 ?

360 is the easiest replacement remember to grab the flywheel :chug: Any reason that you dont want to rebuild the AMC 304 ?

the AMC 304 is seized up something bad. I've been trying to get it loose for over a year now(long winters up here and no garage!). Being this far up north it is hard to come by parts and blocks and such...I can get a reman AMC 304 shipped here for $2000 Canadian...ouch!

Pop that AMC 304 open and see what's shot. It maybe a bore job and new pistons ?

A AMC 304 is to great of an engine to just throw away, i mean you could always pull a Longhorn and drop a big ole 401 in it!:D but have you priced just having it rebuilt or anything so you dont have to do any changing or taking it to a local mechanic so its cheaper?

I'm thinking I'd have to break the pistons just to get them out! I got a quote from our local shop (he did his apprenticship at AMC) but he was thinking around $2500! It most likely needs new slugs and stuff. As for the 401...I'm close to Alaska and would most likely have to go there for that as I only have 2 wrecking yards here to choose from, both of which think their junk is made from gold, ahhh....small towns!

I think you are right about the wiring and the 360 should be a drop in, just make sure it has the flywheel which is specifically balanced for the engine. The AMC 304 flywheel will fit but there is no way of telling how bad out of balance it will be, it may be fine or it may shake the fillings out of your teeth.:cool:
I would be looking for a donor with a V8, AMC 304 or 360 or even a 401, that would more than likely be the least expensive way out of the problem.
:D
I don't know how you could survive with out a shed,barn, garage, shop, carport, something out of the weather. Maybe you should start there.:cool:

The garage got eaten up by a reverse servo that went out in the tranny of our Nisssan Pathfinder(bought a new Xterra!) Got a shed which is not much good at -30, so untill I wise up and move somewhere warm.....:D Just staring up a 4x4 Tour business (using Jeeps of course!) so hopefully next year I can build the garage....

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom