Any interest in getting a good Dana 30 thread going ?

Any interest in getting a good Dana 30 thread going ?

fzsk4p

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Ground up YJ.

Looking to get a CJ
U joints, shafts, spline counts. HP vs LP, lockouts, Ball joints and such.

Maybe we could evolve it into a sticky ?

Im up for it John. I've been running a 30 for almost 20 years now. I wont for one minute say it's an under rated axle, that's just not the case, but there are enough people running it that some technical information would be valuable to say the least.

There are tricks out there to make it a stronger axle, problem is you move the weak point to the already weak R&P

I will try and post up some spec`s, threads and what not tonight. We can all hash out what is relevant and what is not. Any input is encouraged and welcome.

Sir CJ can edit things up and perhaps sticky it.

IMO if you plan to wheel it with 33 or larger tires you should at least up-grade to the cromo axles and bigger u-joints. The 30 spline would be good insurance if you have the bucks, but than the ring&pinion is the weak point.
After breaking a couple u-joints I went with the 27 spline shafts with the big u-joint. No problems since.
I would have went 30 spline but I didn't want to buy a new locker.:D

I seem to be doing OK with a Dana 30 and my 35" Swampers :)

I seem to remember an article somewhere (probably on Pirate) where you could swap to Dana 44 knuckles for high-steer and run larger U-joints. But I could be wrong.

An usefull upgrade for the high steer if nothing else. I would definately want to keep my hubs as the weak point so as not to move it to the R&P.

Got a sick kid and a wife you has things for me to do........Been doing a little research and will get to this asap.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom