Anyone know what this leak is?

Anyone know what this leak is?

Shazam

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-5 Renegade with '74 304 V8 & Edelbrock manifold & carb, Heddman headers & sidepipes, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30, AMC 20
Hi guys. Started my CJ to keep the battery up and noticed this leaking. It's behind the air cleaner and the bottom hose looks like it runs to the carb.

The top hose (plugged?) is leaking. Should this have a hose going somewhere? I'm assuming its gas? Any help is appreciated! Thanks. :chug:

looks like a fuel filter to me. the line pluged off should go to the fuel return line.

Thanks. Do I need to add a fuel return line or just find a better way to seal this?

Any ideas how to do either? Trying to determine if I can do it myself :eek:

on a v8 im not sure where the metal line is. there should be another metal line under the hood close by there. run a rubber fuel hose from the filter to the metal line. the line will go back to the gas tank.

Look for an unused line terminating around the clutch pedal linkage, it runs along the side of the frame rail back to the fuel tank.

On mine the fuel from the tank comes up the passenger side into something (?) then runs under the motor to the fuel pump (i think) on the driver's side. Then it runs in the single side of the filter. The bottom line on the outbound side of the filter goes to the carb and the top is capped off.

I found another metal line on the driver side firewall under the brake cylinder. It's capped off too. Think I'm safe to uncap these connestions and run a return line? Wonder why the PO did this???? Any thoughts are welcome...I'm afraid they plugged it for a reason and I'll burn this thing down :(

For some reason that return line is something CJ owners tend to abandon regularly. Yes the fuel supply runs up the pass side to the pump then filter and then the offcenter port on the filter runs back down alond the driver side rail to the tank.
The line you have discovered may be the right one but make sure first, try to follow it's path to the tank for sure or you may be inviting trouble

are we sure the v8 has a fuel return line? it should have a factory mc2100 and they don't need one, but you have an edelbrock and i know for a fact you don't need one with that. somebody might have put a 6cyl fuel filter on there. if you cant find a return line i'd go to the parts store and pick up one of the universal plastic see through fuel filters.

Thanks all - really appreciating the input as I learn these things. My Chilton's says it should...but you bring up a decent point...the Jeep runs fine - but the gas smell gets old. I'll be sure to trace the capped line before I connect it...but maybe a "regular" filter would work too? If I didn't happen to look at the running motor, I'd have never known.

a regular filter? you mean just an inline filter? thats what i mean by what i suggested. i use one on mine, i like the plastic see through ones, so i can actually see if it looks clogged up.

Yes. an inline one with 1 inlet from the pump and 1 outlet to the carb. thats basically what i have now since the return is plugged. Just trying to figure what will stop the leak best while not hurting the current set-up since it runs great. And a clear one sounds like the way to go if I have the option. Thanks.

I have the set up you show on my '81 CJ5 with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . The capped line on mine does go to the metal line on the driver side and follows the frame rail back to the tank. I do not have any gas smell from that line. I didn't see in your post if you had a six or eight cylinder. If the metal line you found that's capped off goes back to the tank, I would it hook it up right. They are designed that way for a reason and it should eliminate your gas leak and smell.

Tommy

Thanks all. I routed a line from the filter to the metal return line and thinks are smelling better. I appreciate all the input :chug:

Yes the V8's have a fuel return line.

Shazaam, in this case you can get away with a single in-line fuel filter to stop the leak.

Before you go uncapping and reconnecting the original lines, give them a thorough visual inspection. They might have been capped for a reason. Remember, they are probably disconnected on both ends.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom