Axle/Gear Advice

Axle/Gear Advice

Canadian CJ 7

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Current Setup 1985 Jeep CJ-258, 6cyl -T-5 5spd 273 gears.
Hi Guys I am restoring an 1985 Jeep CJ7 with a 273 gears and two piece axles. I am wanting to install a Superior one piece axle kit and while I am at it should I replace the 273 gears set or can I do it at a later date? I am wanting to put in 3.54 gears, I know I will need a new differential (eg Trac Lock, Limited slip) to replace my open carrier for the Model 20 because I am going to a 3.54 gear ratio. I can use my front Dana 30 carrier because I am not going over the 3.54 ratio. I also see some Jeep part site sell Axle & Gear Ring and Pinion over haul kits, would I need to buy this also if I am going to do replace my Ring and Pinions with new ones. My plan down the road is to put my AMC 360 in and pull out the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . I will be having a shop do the work, but I can save a whole pile of money buying my parts online, I just need to confirm what I need to buy from the experts on this site.

Any advice is appreciated :chug:
Brian

To replace the gears you have to remove the axles. You might as well do everything at once. You should get the ring and pinion installation kit. It includes the bearings and seals needed when you replace your gears and diff.

Thanks BusaDave. I seen some prices at East Coast Gear Supply, they offer a Dana 30 Carrier for 3.73 and up ratio's for $69 dollars empty and $79 dollars loaded. What is the difference between empty and loaded? If it only going to cost me a bit more to go to 3.73 or 4.10 that is what I would like to do. The unknown cost of the carrier for the Dana 30 was preventing me from going over 3.54. I knew I had to replace the AMC Model 20 carrier due to having 2.73. At that price I might be going 3.73.

DANA 30 Carrier 3.73 and Up

I guess I will need the full rebuild kit instead of the mini kit, since I am not changing the stock Dana 30 Axles?

DANA 30 RING AND PINION INSTALL KITS, SMALL PARTS

Thanks for any more advice :)

Brian

Loaded should have the spider gears in it. It wasnt showing me the pics of the loaded one. You might take a peak at your old gears and make a decision then which one you want to buy:chug:

Hey Canadian CJ7 ,
I buy all my parts online in the USA...parts retailers really tend to bend you over up here...I also buy all the parts for my Porsche stateside as well.

Hey Canadian CJ7 ,
I buy all my parts online in the USA...parts retailers really tend to bend you over up here...I also buy all the parts for my Porsche stateside as well.

Hi Suburban, if it wasn't for the availability of parts for a very good price in the US, I wouldn't be restoring my Jeep CJ. I buy all my new parts in the US and the odd used part if it's really cheap here in BC. There is even some good deals on Ebay once in a while. Lot's of choices. :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom