axle gearing

4 cyl. narrow trac axles had 4.10s. Not sure about wide tracs. The 80s when wide tracs became available (82 to be exact) was a time where gear ratios were changed to help with fuel mileage. Most wide tracs came stock with 2.73 gears. Heres a definition of the #s to the best of my knowledge. Stock you either have the trac lok diff or not. Then your gear ratio is mentioned followed by the code , then ring /pinion teeth count.

trac-lok 2.73 DD 15/41
standard 3.31 B 13/43
trac-lok 3.31 CC 13/43
standard 3.54 A 11/39
trac-lok 3.54 AA 11/39
standard 3.73 GG 11/41
trac-lok 3.73 Q 11/41
standard 4.10 C 10/41
trac-lok 4.10 CC 10/41

depends on what year you are looking at, a lot of early 4 bangers came with up to 5.38 gearing. I have a set of early, pre 72 narrow, with 4.88s ready to go.

i have the factory 2.73 gears thats why i got excited about the possibility of factory 4.10 wide tracs. when you have to by carriers or lockers, gear sets and install kits it starts to get expensive. with factory 4.10 axles i could just bolt them in and be done
thanks for the info

True, and the holy grail is to find axles geared as you want. However jeep has a history of changing gearing ratios for no known reason. I know for years that the TJs came with 4.10 in 4 bangers, that is true, but the problem is the front offset is the wrong direction. not usable in the CJ.
Another problem with buying used axles is you do not know what you are getting. It has been done by hundreds of guys to find that jewel of an axle, only to find out it needs to be torn apart and rebuilt. I would look for a set that is under a Jeep, not sitting around, when sitting around they tend to get rust in places that can be expensive.
wide tracking is a great thing, and can help tremendously in stability, but limiting yourself to a set of Jeep axles from a 4 banger because they have just the correct ratio is setting yourself up for a long wait and possibly a unmatched set.
My advice would be to find 2 axles the width you want, from any source and then having them geared. While the guys are in there gearing they can look around for spun bearings, rusted axle surfaces etc.
Just Empty Every Pocket may be a joke, but it si very true for a reason. Skimping is a way to find yourself broke down 20 miles into the woods, not good.
I wish you luck in your search, but my advice is to have those puppies opened and possibly repaired once found.

4 cyl. narrow trac axles had 4.10s. Not sure about wide tracs. The 80s when wide tracs became available (82 to be exact) was a time where gear ratios were changed to help with fuel mileage. Most wide tracs came stock with 2.73 gears

I'm with pete on this one, I know yj 4 cly. came with 4:10.
Yes new gears and lockers are expencive, you have to decide if its worth it or not.
A stock jeep will take you many places.;)

I'm with pete on this one, I know yj 4 cly. came with 4:10.
Yes new gears and lockers are expencive, you have to decide if its worth it or not.
A stock jeep will take you many places.;)
Yes but does not the YJ have a offset to the wrong direction? I am not certain but I believe that the offset was changed when they went to wranglers

well my axles are already wide tracs and i'm overall happy for now. its got 33s, 2.73s, and a T-176 its not bad on bottom end but it could be better. let me put it this way its not bad enough to justify spending all of that money on regearing just yet but if i found a good set of 4.10 geared wide tracs for a decent price i would go for it. i just didn't think they were out there so i haven't been looking for them. i don't plan on going any bigger than 35 in tires so the Dana 30 and AMC20 with one piece axles should be fine for me.
honestly i'd probably be happy finding some wide tracs with the bigger 3.08 gears just so i'd have the bigger carriers. carriers new are around $250 nevermind lockers

Last edited:
let me ask you this a on a slightly different subject. i've never put lockers in the front of anything if i was to put a lunchbox locker in the front of my jeep would it affect the way the jeep drives on-road with the hubs unlocked? i wouldn't have thought it would but a buddy of mine said it would but he drives a tj that doesn't have lock out hubs like ours

Yes but does not the YJ have a offset to the wrong direction? I am not certain but I believe that the offset was changed when they went to wranglers
Baja, Your right is is on the WRONG side. But they did come with 4:10's

cheepjeep, With lockouts you won't know it's there.

~~~ if i was to put a lunchbox locker in the front of my jeep would it affect the way the jeep drives on-road with the hubs unlocked? ~~~

No - unlocked hubs are disconnected from the drive line.

Just want to clarify my post - the unlocked hubs disconnect the wheels from the driveline, the gears in the diff are still connected.

I have a lunchbox locker in the front of my CJ5 . I grenaded the Dana 30 soon after I got the Jeep. I had a shop do the rebuild and figured they might as well throw a locker in at the time. I have to say it works great off road. Combined with a twin stick Transfer Case and you'll really be happy. It does take it out of the daily driver category if you use 4wd in snowy situations. I dont think you'll have that problem in Ga. :D

you only know you have a locker in the front when you are in 4x4, until then it does not have power being put to it and it is transparent, I run Detroits and on my tj I didi not have full floating front end but never felt the locker unless in 4x4

It does take it out of the daily driver category if you use 4wd in snowy situations. I dont think you'll have that problem in Ga. :D
i have that problem right now theres 4" on the ground. the 4wd had a workout yesterday. that snow storm that screwed up the midwest hit us, we got about 4" in the valley and the mountains around us got as much as 10" its suppose to refreeze tonight after somewhat melting allday 21deg for the low. I know thats not much for upnorth but down here its like a blizzard, people in ditches all over the place. had to pull a few out myself.

any auto locker has a tendency to make driving in ice or snow tricky, They do what is called crowning. That is they seem to slide down the crown of the road to the bottom, It is because they do not have a side creating friction by not turning. Anyway a guy running in snow areas usually likes to use a selectable locker such as the Ox or ARB,

well even though we have it right now 4" is the most we've had since 96 so snow really ain't that much of an issue. i'd love to have selectable lockers front and rear but theres no way i can afford them anytime in the near future. i figure a lockright and twinstick would keep me happy till i can. thanks for all of the input everybody

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom