axle help dana 30 and ford 8.8

axle help dana 30 and ford 8.8

carlock4sail

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1971 CJ5 -came with a ford 289-t18- dana 18-stock axles- 2 inch home made lift
Hello, I just started posting today, mostly to get some much needed input on my 71 cj build. The Help I need has to do with my axle set up. I have purchased a ford 8.8 axle with posi, 31 splines, and disc brakes. As well as a 79 cj front Dana 30 with disc brakes.
The differance in wheel mounting to wheel mounting is 6.5 inches! I knew this was gonna be fun getting into it but I am not sure just how "FUN".
I want a wider jeep, and really won't be doing much as far as off road, or even daily driving, just cruisin on weekends. Mostly used in 2 wheel drive or 4wd in random snow for fun
SO...
Can I correct the difference in length with wheel back spacing?
Should I look into a wider front axle?
would a 85 cj wide track axle be worth the extra 3" in width?
big one, what diff gears for this would be good with 35-38 inch tires and a 351 v8 just to drive around town and short highway trips?

I am also on a budget and don't really want to get into expensive shortening custom axles... unless its gonna be a huge benifit!

Build thread for jeep:http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/71-cj5-build-8298/

IMHO It's best to keep the front a little wider like the factory does for handling. So I think if you leave the 8.8 at the stock 59.5" wide your best front would be a waggie NT at app. 61" wide.
If you are keeping your Dana 30 , is there some reason to get rid of your rear Dana 44 other than width?
Maybe just get some wide trak axles for an 82-86 cj. probally the cheapest way.
I would run somewhere between 4:10's & 4:88's depending on what size tire you end up with.

Hello

I am also on a budget and don't really want to get into expensive shortening custom axles... unless its gonna be a huge benifit!

The 8.8 isn't going to be that cheap to swap unless you have good fab skills.

yeah, looking back on what I have decided to do I should have kept the rear axle... But its sold, so the wagoneer axle seams to be a good choice, what years were good for the swap?

yeah, looking back on what I have decided to do I should have kept the rear axle... But its sold, so the wagoneer axle seams to be a good choice, what years were good for the swap?

IIRC 70's to early 80's had pass. side drop. Again though it's NOT a simple bolt in. (not gona be cheap)

Thanks OLD DOG, I realize cheap is relative at this point, I picked up the jeep for 700 bucks and have already put in a grand and have probably another 5 or 6 to go! I have been reading about possible outboarding and moving perches and finding the correct angles, just gonna have to take my time and start to make sure I plan things out. thanks for the input!

Take time out and figure out exactly what you want out of your Jeep. Then throw that plan away and plan for what you can afford. :D Honestly though , plan it out and get a good "base". By "base" I mean a set up that you can upgrade more along the way or a set up that will work for you while your building what you want outside the Jeep.

I picked up the jeep for 700 bucks. Just gonna have to take my time and start to make sure I plan things out. thanks for the input!

Sounds eerily familiar to what I did only mine was $100 cheaper. :laugh: If you havent read glaze over my 2 yr. thread and learn from mistakes I made. Ten check it out over the next 5 years till its finished. :rolleyes:

I picked up the jeep for 700 bucks and have already put in a grand and have probably another 5 or 6 to go! I have been reading about possible outboarding and moving perches and finding the correct angles, just gonna have to take my time and start to make sure I plan things out. thanks for the input!

I just never know when someone says they are on a budget.
Everytime you start moding a jeep it turns into "one thing after another"
and a lot of half finished jeeps end up setting in a barn for years.
Your on the right trak to do as much reading as you can. Google will be your friend, as there are a lot of writeups on both these swaps.
The waggie is a Dana 44 by the way so it's better than the 30 for the big tires you want to run.
Your biggest cost will be gearing both axles.

Ok, well if I decide to ditch the Dana 30 and go 44 I gotta find an axle to fit, now it seems the 79 cherokee had Dana 44 axles but from what I can find they came in wide or narrow ? They all had discs? I found one on car-parts.com at a yard about 2 hours away, which I will be conveniently going by to visit family on friday. I don't know much about the axle beside the fact it is a 79 with 3.07 gearing, Is this a good canidate for $250. being said I know I am gonna hafta outboard springs.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom