Axle Help

Axle Help

BigDsCJ7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7
I have read so many axle threads, that my head is spinning. Here is what is going on. I'm the new proud owner of a 1986 CJ7 and I'm getting ready to start a V8 swap. A 350 sbc and 700R4 transmission. The Jeep now has I think a Dana 35 front axle, Dana 20 rear and 300 transfer case. I plan on using the transfer case with Novak adapter.
Q's:
I want a Dana 44 rear and 44 or 35 front.... What can I pull them from?

What is the best gear ratio for 60% road and 40% off road? (not rock crawling)

Thanks for your help. Also I do have some what of a budget just not crazy.

the 86 came with either a AMC20 or a Dana 44 . The Amc has a round cover.
The front is a Dana 30 the 35 is a rear axle.
If you want to stay the same width you will have to narrow any axle you find as none will be the right width.
If you already have a 44 in the rear like you might (86 was the only year jeep used a wide track 44) your best bet would be a front 44 out of a waggie but it will still be wider than you want. You can get both front and rear from a waggie but they will be wider than the wide tracks you have now, but only by a couple inches. IH Scout 44 axles are also a good swap and close to the same width. both will take some fab work.

Forgot to ask what size tire are you going to run? will make a diff. on what gears you want to run.
Also you might want to run the rearends you have now till you find out if you are going to break them or not.
I have a 350 with a TH350 and a 30 in front and 20 in the rear with lockers and 33in tires, that has held up for me so far. You just have to live by the "less throttle more finesse" rule.

I will be using the Front and rear axles out of a Full Size Jeep in my CJ7 build.
The front is a Dana 44 and the rear is a Model 23 (kind of a heavy duty model 20).
I have measured the rear and its about 2 inches wider than the stock model 20 WT. So thats something you might look into.

Ok, I did some digging on my Jeep. I have a 20 rear, still not sure about the front. Narrow track. I'm running 33's on it now. Could I run a longer axle? Just a thought.

Well if it's an 86 it should be the wide trac width axles. might be 54.5" compared to the narrow trac 50.5" WMS to WMS. MC 20 rear axles have a round cover 44 would be more squared off... What size tires do you want to run? I run 35's on the Dana 30 and mc 20 with lockers and 4.56 gears, but both have alloy shafts without problems. Your 700r4 will have Overdrive so figure that into the equation when choosing gear sets. With those axles the highest numerical gear set you can run is the 4.88 if you had the 44 I think you can get a 5.13 gear set... My AMC 304 with headers, dual exhaust, and 4 barrel carb, along with the 4.56 gears will absolutely move my 35x12.5x 15" BFG muds on the street:D. I'd think with a small block depending tire size 4.56 for 35's or slightly larger 4.10 for 33" or less.

So if I use my stock 30 front, get a solid axle for my 20 rear, even with a sbc (280ish hp) stay light on the gas and i should be ok for a while? Do I need to even...as they say "polish a turd" with the 20?

I would like 4.10 but how hard is it to find? I just got new 33's.

This has been and will always be one of the biggest debates... What diffs?

The AMC20 arguably has a better center section then the 44, it's just that the axles and tubes suck so bad...

Ask 20 Jeepers and you will get 20 different answers...

Confusing huh? :)

It is!!!!! Everything is stock. How much for axles? A solid kit (not welded) for the 20 is about $250.

Not sure. How do I tell. I have 30 front, 20 rear, 300 tranfer case and it has the 5 speet (Borg-Warner T-5 ). Don't know if thet helps.

To check your gear ratio, raise the wheels off the ground, turn a wheel one rotation and count the number of times the drive shaft turns for a posi, and turn the wheel two times and count the number of drive shaft rotations for and open diff.

LongHorn, How long did it take to get your rig that clean? Hahaha, Just kidding. Nice ride friend! Nice pics too!

Last edited:
My POS hasn't been that clean since I rebuilt her, but those are not pic's of my rig. I don't have any CJ's with stock axles, so I had to go with file photos.

Checkout my gallery to see my POS. As for gears I'm running Richmond Gears. I'm running stock Dana "60" 35 spline axles. I have not run stockers since I started running 38" tires many years ago.:D

Was the Dana 60's too wide and did you have to cut them or did they fit with no mods. I hear those are almost unbreakable. Oh, and contrary to my last few posts, I do have the wide track. That was the only option in 86'.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks