Axle Shaft Play.

Axle Shaft Play.

Az84cj7

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 cj7 Inline 6, mopar fuel injection , T5 trans, dana 300, Dana 44's
I Have a Danna 30 front axle on my CJ7 . Is it normal to be able to rock the driver side axle shaft at the u-joint where the inner axle shaft meets the outer axle shaft? ( I hope im explaning that clear enough) the u-joint where they connect looks good. Does this sound wheel bearings?:confused:

to check wheel bearings, you would raise the wheel in question off the ground. Then grab the wheel at 12.00 and 6.00 and rock it parallel with the axle. If there is more than a tiny bit of play, you need to spend some time with your CJ.

I don't know how much play there should be at the inner U-Joint you are referring to, but it doesn't have much to do with the bearings.

If you mean both axles (inner and outer) are rocking, that's okay. If one is moving independent of the other, you need a u-joint.

yes! both inner and outer are rocking. How much play should they have? When I rock them vigorously, I get a clanking noise like im tapping metal with a hammer.

If it's in and out of the tube I wouldn't worry about it. The axles float around in there so that when you turn the wheel they'll be properly aligned with the angle. The only thing really holding the axle is the snap ring holding the hub on and the back of the spindle. Check the other side, it should have the same amopunt of play. There are bearings inside the spindle that keep the outer axle shafts centered. If there's side to side play in the outer, they need replaced.

yes there is side to side play in the outer. so I will have to check to see if its the bearing inside the spindle. First I gotta find the socket that fits the large nut to pull the whole assembly apart.

Let me make sure I know what you mean when you say you "rock the front axle"
Now let's say you have only the front right tire jacked up off the ground. Are you pulling the tire in and out? If so there shouldn't be much free play there. That wouldn't be the axle shafts. That free play would be at the bearing. The hub is held onto the spindle with the bearings.
Now on the other hand if you have one front tire jacked up and you try to rotate it clockwise and counterclockwise there can be alot of free play there. What that is is free play in all the gears in the differential. There should be very little free play in the hub holding the wheel in place. but as the axle shaft turns it turns the axle gear that turns the spider gear that turns the differential carrier or locker. As the differential tries to turn it is stopped by the pinion gear and this last bit of free play between the ring gear and the pinion gear that has the most amount of free play (called backlash). This ring and pinion gear backlash isn't much on its own but the free play of all these gears add up and can seem like a lot.

yes there is side to side play in the outer. so I will have to check to see if its the bearing inside the spindle. First I gotta find the socket that fits the large nut to pull the whole assembly apart.

When I wrote side to side play, I mean front to back or up and down in relation to the Jeep. The axle goes inside the spindle and there are bearings in there that center the outer axle in the spindle. The wheel bearings are on the outer side of the spindle and work the same way basically. The axle should have some play that will alow you to push it in and pull it out of the spindle. This is normal, but it shouldn't rattle around in the spindle as it spins. That's a bearing surface. It's kinda tough to explain, and it really helps to have someone handy who knows. One thing you can do is compare one side to another and your vehicle to someone elses open knuckle straight axle American 4x4. They all work the same, just larger and smaller.

Ok. Finally found the wheel bearing socket to remove the hub assembly. (2 1/16 if your curious) I just want to clarify my issue. I know there is a little play if you slide the axle in and out.(driver side to passenger side) My issue is, up and down side to side play. I took it all apart and now can visualize how it doesnt have anything to do with the wheel bearings. They are in great shape! I took the spindle off and glanced at the bearing on the inside that you guys are talking about. It looks ok but hard to tell if its worn or bad. I think this is my problem, because like you said the axle doesnt seem to be centered in that spindle.
I put the spindle back on and from the outside grabbed the axle threads and moved it around and I get the same sound. My buddies 84cj7 has very little play. Almost no noise at all.

Ok. Finally found the wheel bearing socket to remove the hub assembly. (2 1/16 if your curious) I just want to clarify my issue. I know there is a little play if you slide the axle in and out.(driver side to passenger side) My issue is, up and down side to side play. I took it all apart and now can visualize how it doesnt have anything to do with the wheel bearings. They are in great shape! I took the spindle off and glanced at the bearing on the inside that you guys are talking about. It looks ok but hard to tell if its worn or bad. I think this is my problem, because like you said the axle doesnt seem to be centered in that spindle.
I put the spindle back on and from the outside grabbed the axle threads and moved it around and I get the same sound. My buddies 84cj7 has very little play. Almost no noise at all.

So it was the inner wheel bearing that you replaced and it helped?!?

Thanks,:chug:

No I didnt replace it. It looked to be in perfect shape. I bought a new one to compare and it looked just like the one already in there. Still have not figured out what it is. I guess I will drive it until it breaks.:eek:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom