axle swap??

axle swap??

giantsfan

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj7, 304 thm 400 automatic, quadratrac transfercase, stock rears.
got this 79 narrow track CJ7 , i want the tires to be spaced out a little more (thinkin 2" on each side would be good) my question is should i replace the axles, if so what is a good axle to run? or should i just get wheel spacers and call it a day, been getting mixed responses to the wheel spacers :confused:. Appreciate any help you guys can give.

Mostly around here they don't like spacers, but my research lately shows that they are a lot better then the older stuff, and have earned a place on rigs (if used for the right reason).
Have you thought about finding a set of wheels with a different BackSpacing? that would also push your wheels out some.

Other than that, a set of WT axles from a later CJ should be nearly a bolt-in affair, and would net the width you need. Then sell the NT axles to a guy with a early CJ or Flat Fender!

Wheel spacers don't cause much problems in the rear but up front they will put more strain on your ball joints. You wouldn't want to put 2 inch spacers up front.
There are a few options if you want wider axles. If you go with axles from an '82 to '86 CJ you can get a wider stance. On the other hand you may want to upgrade to stronder axles you could look for a Dana 44 from a Scout or some other 4x4. Dana 44s are common.

thanks guys, thats kinda what i was thinking i was going to put 2 inch spacers....but think i might try and get something out of a newer cj? the scout axles r they a pain to bolt up(or any Dana 44 's)?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom