Axle tube leaking...need help

Axle tube leaking...need help

CjDan

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 jeep cj7 Inline 6
Ok so my fornt axle tube is leaking on my front Dana 30 near the tire and the joints....now i know it is a seal that is damaged, but my question is how do i know which one it is, im not sure if it is the inner axle shaft oil seal or if it is the axle tube oil seal itself.... is there any way i can know because there is a huge price difference on these two seals, and i do not want to have to spend $60 if i do not have to, i would rather spend 2.99 on the inner seal, so if anyone could help me who had this problem before and give me some pointers on what seal it is and what to do that would be great, i know if it is the inner i am going to have to take the diff cover off and take out the pinion gears and all to replace the seal...is this something i should do with my father(which we were planning on doing anyways) or should i take it to a shop to get it done. And if anyone has any other suggestions on what it could be please fell free to let me know

IIRC there is only the one, the inner seal by the ring gear.
And yes change it yourself unless you make a lot more money than I do.

IIRC there is only the one, the inner seal by the ring gear.
And yes change it yourself unless you make a lot more money than I do.

ok i will change it myself, and you said there is only one seal ther, and that is the inner axle seal, correct?

It's been awhile but thats all I remember changing when I rebuilt mine.
You will need to pull the diff (with ring gear attached) and the axles
so its no little job but it's good experience. also this tool or a homemade
one like it will help with installing the new seal. INNER AXLE SEAL TOOL DANA 30, 44 and 60

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom