Bad gas and a 304 fuel pump

Bad gas and a 304 fuel pump

grunt

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ 304, 400 automatic
Long story but dropped the fuel tank last fall from the CJ7 . Fuel tank is in excellent condition but had half of tank of nasty gas from sitting for years. Got rid of the bad fuel, placed the gas tank back up into the CJ and ran it up into winter.... Sat for 5 months outside. Presently barely would run so took the edelbrock carb apart and found nasty jelly stuff. Never seen this before. So I clean the carb apart and try again. I see in my clear filter I'm getting more of the yellow fog like gas. Now I realize I have to dropped the gas tank again and clean it. What would be the best product to get rid of any residue from the bad gas? Also would it be wise to replace the stock mechanical fuel pump even though it pushes fuel good? Would that yellow jelly stuff be in there? Also I can hear the CJ poping through the exhaust which it never did before. Any help would be appreciated. It's getting old dropping the fuel tank all the time . Also whats a good carb cleaner. That residue is nasty. Thanks...

I'll address the carb cleaner 1st. :) Just about all cleaners are the same - just make sure that they are NOT safe for the environment. ;) The biodegradable ones do not have petroleum products in them and just flat out don't work as well as they should.

For a real cleaning get the cleaner that comes in it's own container - you can soak the parts overnight if needed.

As for the bad gas - gas really doesn't go bad - it's the moisture in the gas that causes problems. Any gas stabilizer is your friend when it comes to keeping the moisture in your fuel suspended.

OK CJ thanks. Do you think I should change the fuel pump or will I be all set?...

ETHENOL GAS! It's not your friend when your vehicle sets up. It can varnish up in a month. If you are going to let it set, Stabil for ethenol is what you will need. It's best to at least run it ever so often and add some fresh fuel in it. If you can get ethenol free gas, that would be good too. Most boat marinas carry it.

I would think the pump doesn't hold enough fuel to be a problem. I would still run some fresh fuel through it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom