Bare Jeep - need help in starting

Bare Jeep - need help in starting

lwhitman

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 4.2 straight six
Bought a 1978 CJ7 with AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l /manual Transmission for change. no wiring harness and has not been started for @ 3 years. Was an every day driver before its long rest.

Can turn the engine manually, but am unsure how to go about seeing in engine will turn under power without electrical system in place. Will be taking tub off and begin major rebuild project.

Can I hook up solenoid/battery/starter and get it to turn? Do I need to "jump" the solenoid? Any suggestions?

how bare is it? completely, if so you can go as far as wiring up a solenoid, and ignition, but if you are just wanting to bump it over with the starter i would suggest a cheap starter button and a heavy gauge wire to the battery, through the button then down to the starter.

All parts there, what wires are there are in tatters and not connected to fuse box. Want to try to get it started. Hope not to have big engine rebuild project at this time, but need to determine if that is necessary.

You can try to crank is over by running a battery to the starter and jump it. But really if it turns over by hand you should have no issues with it turning under power. I would be careful hot wiring the starter because you can back feed the system and short out some tattered wires. I would fix the wires and be done with it.

if its that far gone i would suggest finding you a good used wiring harness, you'll need it anyway if plan to keep the jeep. but here is a wiring diagram, you can pick out the ignition and starting circuits to temporarily get it running, should be fairly simple just remember that you have to have a resistor on the wire that powers the ignition control module. http://www.auto-wiring-diagram.com/.../05/wiring-diagram-of-1978-jeep-cj-models.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom