BBD Accelerator Pump

BBD Accelerator Pump

MDJEEPER

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ

Mostly stock, 258 c.i.d., T-176 tranny, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Dana 300 t-case, 31x10.50 tires, 2 inch body lift
I have set the accelerator pump to specs in my BBD carb. This has eliminated some hesitation, but not all of it. Would you raise or lower the accelerator pump a little further to eliminate the hestiation?

Guesses?? :confused:

First of all, my only experience with accelerator pumps is with Holly carbs, so I don't know if this will help you.

Anyway, on Hollies, you can buy different cams that change how the pump kicks in. They are curved pieces of plastic and are cheap. By switching them out, you can adjust from a quick early big squirt (for example) to a late long controlled squirt. On the Hollies, the cams are different colors, each color being a different cc shot.

You could be getting too much, or too little shot, both can cause hesitation.

Also, you can change the size of the accelerator pumps.

Another thing to consider is timing. If you have a problem with hesitation, it could be related to timing not advancing quick enough. Make sure your vacuum advance is hooked up and has no leaks and is operating properly.

Worn ignition components, vacuum leaks, over carburetion (too big a carb), dirty air filter, fuel filter, incorrectly set float, etc. There are many things that can contribute to hesitation.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom