Best clutch for 1986 258 cj7

Best clutch for 1986 258 cj7

Wildthing

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj7 AMC 258 t-5 transmission Dana 300 Dana 30 AMC 20, 1986 cj7 AMC 360 TF 727 Dana 300 Dana 30 AMC 20
I'm rebuilding the engine, so while it is out I want to replace the clutch. I was wondering what is the best clutch for off road, trail, some highway? No extreme rock crawling. Just regular use.

I've never had any problem using the stock clutch. From the time my CJ had a 4cyl, 6cyl, and now a V8....the stock components have worked well and I beat the hell out of my jeep on the rocks.

everybody says Centerforce II......I'll just say save the money and use what has worked time and time again :)

everybody says Centerforce II.
Myself included.
I am a big fan of Centerforce clutches. They have 3 versions that would work in a CJ:
1. Centerforce I - OEM replacement
2. Centerforce II - HD clutch that will take years of abuse.
3. Centerforce DualFriction - Super Duty clutch for high horsepower engines.

I would recommend Centerforce II. It will be the last clutch you put into your jeep. The pedal tension will not be noticeably harder than a stock clutch but it has much higher holding power and longevity. The Certerforce company says the Centerforce II clutch is for off-roading and towing.
If you want something closer to stock get the Centerforce I
I would not recommend the DualFriction. It's overkill but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Thanks,

What a great site.!!!!

There are plenty of things to spend money on and the clutch is not a week point.
Dave should have a centerforce ll He needs it. You don't. IMHO.

There are plenty of things to spend money on and the clutch is not a week point.

I should need it too.....but I dont. I've never had issue with the stock clutch components and that's with a lot of hp in front of it :D

I should need it too.....but I dont. I've never had issue with the stock clutch components and that's with a lot of hp in front of it :D

Yeah but we all know you wheel like an old lady, Jim. :p

Center Force Dual in my YJ. Love it.

One consideration. Does your CJ have a hydraulic or mechanical release ?

"Generally" the HP clutches have more spring pressure. A hydraulic will handle the extra spring but a mechincal might give you an overly stiff pedal.

Maybe an upgrade to an hydraulic release while your in there ?

I'm running the Centerforce II with 38 Weber and a 4.0 head on a reworked AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l block. Well worth the money even for a daily driver. Very smooth and a easy clutch peddle. I was glad I had it, over my old school Hays, as I was in some of the OBX traffic today.

Thanks again,
I'm getting the idea ....... save my money...... get a quality stock clutch!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom