best guess for gears 1974 cj5

best guess for gears 1974 cj5

Dayle

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 only mod motorcraft 2bbl no emissions on it after a fire, 195? CJ3B project have not start on it yet
Hi I found an old jeep to be parted out. It is a 1974 6 cyl 3 speed, has the good flanged axles. Tag is missing on housing. What would be any ones best guess to what gear ratio it is. Has a lot of good parts, no title, rotted out body. Also what would be a good price for it. Thanks for the help. Dayle

most likely has the common to that year range 3.73 gears in a set of 4 wheel drum Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear, both in the narrow track. With no title and a rotted body, I wouldn't give more than a hundred or so. That was IF I needed or wanted the T-14 Transmission , Dana 20 T case or the 6cyl in either the AMC 232 i6 or AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l flavor. If it had a title and the optional AMC 304 V8, than even with a bad body, the price would be higher. In all reality, when buying an older Jeep, the body and frame along with a clean title are the most important as components can be swapped out. A clean, rust free body and frame are what makes the value. Sometimes hard to find though.

In reality, the only for sure valuable part of the machine in question would be the rear axle unless you had a 74 that needed the other hardware, nuts/bolts,springs,lights etc.
I hate to write off a CJ but if the frame is toast your pretty well just looking at what ever parts are of value to you.

What would be any ones best guess to what gear ratio it is.

Probably the 3.73 but mine came w/AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l had 4.27 from the factory. Best to rotate and count.

Unfortunately the VIN does not have the axle ratio in it.

Last edited:
Yeah could be 3:73's but people do swap out gears so you never know.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom