Big problems with engine swap-help need!

Big problems with engine swap-help need!

Chriss

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7, AMC 360, T176, DANA 300, Axles Stock with true trac, 33" Cooper STT tires, 4" lift by Trailmaster
1999 JEEP Grand Cherokee 4,7 stock. Family car
Hello and merry christmas:)

I have big problems with the engine swap at my CJ7 .
I changed the cracked 1979 frame and the tired AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l engine.
My new frame now is a 1985 with the skid plate, the Transmission a T-150 with a Dana 20 Transfer Case and a 360 V8.
Now, there are some differences between the skid plate and the Transfer Case , and the drive shafts for the front axle are too short.
Are there diffrent skid plates after 1979, starting the Dana 300 Transfer Case ? Whats up with the drive shafts? Why are they now too short?? It is the same Transmission and axles from 1979, only the engine is another.
Must I buy new drive shafts, and a new skid plate??
Help is needed. Please.

Did you change the right side motor mount tower (the ones that bolt to the frame) from the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l style to the 360 style? And/or at least move them to the correct holes in the frame (the V-8 mounts in a slightly different set of holes than the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .) That may account for your different driveshaft length.

Yes, I changed the motor mounts. Here are a few pics.

Here are more pics from the motor mounts

The Transmission is a T-150 ? Is that what you always had? The different trannys had different lengths. The same skid plate was used for many different drive-train combinations. They just placed the skid plate in further back for some applications.
So you replaced the engine and frame. Those are some major changes. As long as the frame length and drive train is the same the drive shafts should work.
As long as you have the mounts in correctly the engine should not affect the position of the tranny and TCase.

The CJs had lots of holes in the frames. That is to accommodate all the options the factory put out.
I am now looking over your pictures. I see more holes for the engine mounts. Are we sure the engine is in the correct location. The other holes are further back (this is what mylittlecj5 was talking about). I wonder if that makes up for the difference. How does the radiator fit? Try it out and see if the engine should be back further.

Yes, I think the same with the holes. I´m not sure, that the motor mounts are correct mounted.
The engine is too high. I have now problems withe the hood and the oil filling. I measured the height and I can not close the hood.
:bang:

Do you still have the 79 frame?? check for differences between what you had and what you have. I would start with the Transmission and mount the skid plate where the drive shafts will work, even if I had to drill some new holes in the plate where it mounts to the frame. then I would start looking at the motor. If it is too high and too far forward you must have the wrong mounts or have the right mounts in the wrong holes.
Until you check for differences in the frame your kind of in the dark, as far as I can tell.

Nothing is ever as easy as it first appears.:cool:

Thanks for your answers. I think I need a new skid plate. I´ve seen one which is deeper. There is more place for the Dana 20 . Now, the motor mounts are o.k. saw at some other pics. Only the brackets on the motor could be false. Can I change them left to right? Hmmm... I`m not sure. If I mount the other holes on the frame, the engine is too near at the body. Than I have contact with the valve covers.
And I think the mounts came frome a Wagoneer or Cherokee, but I´m not sure. They told me, that I can took this mounts also to a CJ.
The old frame is not longer mine! The tranny and the Transfer Case are still the same parts from 1979, only the new frame, and the skid plate is from 1985. Now I think about to buy a Dana 300 , but I read at Novak, that the T-150 is not compatible with the T-150 . Is that right?

The T-150 only came with the Dana 20 TCase. It won't work with a Dana 300 TCase.
The difference is the Dana 20 expected the tranny to have a large gear on the output shaft. This entire gear fits into the Dana 20 .
The Dana 300 expects the output shaft to fit into the Dana 300 .
These two are much different designs. You can't adapt a tranny that came with a Dana 20 TCase to mate up to a Dana 300 .
Likewise you can't adapt a tranny that came with a Dana 300 TCase to mate up to a Dana 20 .

Now I`ll know, which is the left, and which is the right motormount. On my JEEP it looks like, that the left mount is on the right side, and the right on the left. I have two mounts. A big one and a smaller one. The big one is on the passengers side. At the big mount is a ground cable mounted. But I´ve seen on old pictures, that this cable and motormount is on the driver side...I´m going stupid:eek:

And I think the mounts came frome a Wagoneer or Cherokee, but I´m not sure. They told me, that I can took this mounts also to a CJ.

That is not correct. You have to use frame brackets from a AMC 304 equiped CJ. Waggy, FSJ, J-truck series frame brakets will not work.

The skinnier bracket goes on the passengerside, the wider one on the driverside.

Yes, you´re right. It won´t work, cause I HAVE the Cj V8 brackets (Icalled my dealer) and mounts. Cause my frame is from 1985. Could it be, that the frame haven´t the holes for the V8 mounting?? Or all frames have the same holes for different engine mounting?

Hey man I've been where your at I have an 85 CJ7 that I took the 6cyl and 5spd and Dana 300 Transfer Case out and put in a AMC 304 and the T-150 and Dana 20 Transfer Case . What I did on the skid plate I had to use an older one not the one from my 85 and it was wider than my original one. I mean the sides came out past the frame it's not flush like the one from my 85. What I did I welded two pieces of angle iron on the outside edge of the frame and drilled holes in the angles, which allowed the skid plate to bolt directly up to the angles that I welded on. As far as the driveshafts I had to lengthen my rear driveshaft because the 3 spd. is not as long as the 5 spd. as far as the tail housing. The front driveshaft had to be shortened a little bit to make it work. I'll try to add pics to show you what I'm talking about. I didn't buy new driveshafts I took them to a Transmission shop and the can lenghten and shorten your shafts a lot cheaper I think they charged me 80 bucks. It all worked for me.

Hi man, thanks for mailing. Yes PLEASE send me som pics, that I can see, what I have to do. I´m thinking about a old skid plate from `79. But I don´t now, if I should drill some new holes in the frame. Hmmm. I ever thought, that a CJ is a easy car. But damned, it`s sometimes very difficult. BUT I LOVE THE CJ :rolleyes:

I'm not very computer litterate but I'll try if nothing else I can give you my cell number and txt pic messages to you. I'm not sure what year the skid plate I used came from me and some friends did the swap and they have extra old parts galore. It's not going to be that big of a deal to make it work just a little welding. I wouldn't drill new holes in the frame the factory holes are threaded and they strip out often, and you would have no way to get a nut on it. 931-627-0067 give me a shout I'll help you anyway I can.

I have to come on here and make a correction to something I posted....

The larger bracket goes on the PASSENGER side, and the skinner bracket goes on the driver side. I incorrectly stated them as going on the opposite sides.:chug:

Hello and good morning.
YES, thanks, that´s it :chug:. The engine is at the frame. Now I have to look, why I can`t bolt the rear Transmission rubber.

AHH...Now I know why not fit the two drive shafts! Both drive shafts are of a 4-speed T-176 . :bang:

Have anyone this bracket? I need this to bolt the Transmission on the skid plate. Is this right for the T-150 ? Will do a good payment.:rolleyes:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom