Bout to get started on a 4 speed swap 76 cj7

Bout to get started on a 4 speed swap 76 cj7

krazyscustoms

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
76 CJ7 304 3 speed an chevy axles
Ive got a 76 CJ7 with a mild built AMC 304 with i assume the T-150 an Dana 20 , its got chevy axles with 373 an 35s the t150s first gear is to high for me i have access to a 80 cherokee sport with the T-18 an i think its a Dana 300 but its got the dana 44s front an rear passenger drop what is the best rout to go with i just dont like the unsycro T-18 cause i need the lower gear to get it moveing on some hills? any mods i need to do to get this tranny in?

Last edited:
Pass on the tranny input shaft and bell housing problems. check out Novak
The Borg-Warner T18 & T19 Transmissions - Novak Conversions

cheeper and easier to use ford truck tranny with adapter for TC.
I heard somebody made a replacement input shaft but don't know anybody that has used one.

You are synced in 2,3 and 4. 2nd will be about what you have in 1st with the T-150 .

Ive got a 76 CJ7 with a mild built AMC 304 with i assume the T-150 an Dana 20 , its got chevy axles with 373 an 35s the t150s first gear is to high for me i have access to a 80 cherokee sport with the T-18 an i think its a Dana 300 but its got the dana 44s front an rear passenger drop what is the best rout to go with i just dont like the unsycro T-18 cause i need the lower gear to get it moveing on some hills? any mods i need to do to get this tranny in?

PartsMike out of Auburn California sells a great short input shaft. Not sure the '80 Cherokee is a granny low T-18 though. Turn the input shaft and count the revolutions to check it. The bell housing should be fine but you will need a new clutch to match the splines on the new input shaft. PartsMike has all that too including a stud bolt you will need to allow the clutch fork to work properly. It does take and adapter to fit up to the Dana 20 . If you use the 300 I am not sure about the fit. Drive shaft lengths will probably need adjusting. I know the T-18 is about 3 inches longer than a T-15 and probably the same for the T-150 . The specs will show. The linkage for the Transfer Case will probably need some tweaking to. Not an easy swap but well worth it for the low gear. Made all the difference in the world in mine.

Tommy

you used the parts mike shaft?? how much was it??

PartsMike out of Auburn California sells a great short input shaft. Not sure the '80 Cherokee is a granny low T-18 though. Turn the input shaft and count the revolutions to check it. The bell housing should be fine but you will need a new clutch to match the splines on the new input shaft. PartsMike has all that too including a stud bolt you will need to allow the clutch fork to work properly. It does take and adapter to fit up to the Dana 20 . If you use the 300 I am not sure about the fit. Drive shaft lengths will probably need adjusting. I know the T-18 is about 3 inches longer than a T-15 and probably the same for the T-150 . The specs will show. The linkage for the Transfer Case will probably need some tweaking to. Not an easy swap but well worth it for the low gear. Made all the difference in the world in mine.

Tommy

I think the problem is not the tranny, but the 3.73s in the axles, It would be better served to change out the axle gearing.

The T18A will overcome the axle ratio and will allow you to still run the highways without increasing RPM's. The T-18 Short Shaft kit from Parts Mike was $199. I also got a LUK clutch kit for $169.19. If you go to his website, he has instructions for putting in the short shaft. He is also good at providing tech support on the phone. Nice company to do business with and plenty savvy.

There are three previous threads here that are dedicated to this type of swap. You may want to go back through them and see what else has been posted on this. They are:
fj20-T-18 -CJ5 -swap-3373
T-18 -question-4765
will-T-18 -bolt-direct-replacement-T-150 -a-4602

Hope this helps.

Tommy

Find a 1980 Scout with a T19 and TC146 Dana 300 .:)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom