break caliper question

break caliper question

brian613

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77 CJ5 amc 304 Np 434 tranny twin sticked dana 20 transfer scout II dana 44's locked front and rear with 4.88 gears
i have a 77 CJ5 with 4 wheel drum breaks. i have a chance to get a set of 85 CJ7 calipers from a Dana 30 axle and a set of 2 bolt caliper brackets my question is will a set of rotors calipers and caliper brackets from an 85 CJ7 Dana 30 axle fit my 77 CJ5 Dana 30 axle?

i have a 77 CJ5 with 4 wheel drum breaks. i have a chance to get a set of 85 CJ7 calipers from a Dana 30 axle and a set of 2 bolt caliper brackets my question is will a set of rotors calipers and caliper brackets from an 85 CJ7 Dana 30 axle fit my 77 CJ5 Dana 30 axle?
no the knuckles do not have the two bolt holes or slide brackets. plus the spindle is different on the inner race surface. You will need the spindles and the steering knuckles front the 85 to make it work, oh get those dust shields also. Now remember to get those flat springs that hold the calipers on.
OK now get someone to change the knuckles and while they are at it get new ball joints put in.
Otherwise go to our links page, look up Herm the Overdrive guy and pay around 6 hundred for his d25/d27 front disc conversion. It is a direct bolt on using gm truck brakes and brackets to that Dana 30 with drum brakes. A few other thoughts you need to know, your master cylinder will need a bit of work to use with disc, there is a valve that leaves pressure on the drum brakes to keep the slave cylinder rubber caps from colapsing, this will need to be removed and it can be internal, plus you may need to change the proportioning valve to balance the rear to the front.
Good luck. and a word of advice, save everything till finished, you may be searching for a small tiny part if you just chuck stuff before you are up and running, my first conversion was a nightmare looking for this and that.

do not be disapointed, ask about the knuckles, you do not know till you ask.

he dosent have the knuckles he sold the axles but kept the break hardware for another jeep he has but wound up selling it also.

but thats ok i'll get disk breaks eventually.

Brian;
how did you end up with a 77cj5 with drums on the front?? is it the original axle? did you check the vin #

yes its the original axle. there are quite a few 77 CJ5 's with drum breaks in the front. since it was in 76/77 they changed over to disk they just kept putting in the drum break axles till they were all gone then only used the disk.

I guess I just got lucky, the factory service manual doesn't even mention front drums.
The way Baja is talking it would be easier to replace the axle.
If I see anything I will give a holler.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom