budget friendly swap

budget friendly swap

84Cjseven

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 CJ7 with 2.5 liter 4 cylinder. T4 and dana 300. Tow vehicle 08 F250 Powerstroke 4x4
I currently have the AMC 150 . After getting it running last week I clearly can see this thing is a dog, but overall the jeep is in pretty good shape. With that being said, who has a "budget friendly" swap idea for me. I have read about the Transmission differences and such. I wont do a lot of off roading, nothing hardcore for sure, mostly just a putt around town vehicle to say mileage on the F250. I would like the inline 6 because it seems there are several on craigslist with the tranny attached for several hundred bucks. Whats involved if I find one with the tranny, or without and keep my T-4 tranny. The power steering it has now, and the hydraulic clutch, can they moved over or not? Im new so bear with me

Accessories (PS brackets, alt brackets) will bolt on. Pulleys are the same.

Hydro clutch pedal, master cyl good to go. Need hose to slave and slave cyl.

Need AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l bell housing.

Need frame horns for the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l (frame to engine mount brackets).

T-4 /5 on the AMC 150 have different spline count on input shaft. If you are not going to be beating on the CJ, just get a clutch with the matching spline count. Otherwise you would have to change the input shaft to the higher spline count.

Larger radiator.

Drive shafts will have to be lengthened/shortened. Unless you find a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with a T-176 /7. They just happen to be the same for the T-4 /5 AMC 150 as the T-176 /7 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .

May need PS hose length change. But if they are original, might as well put on new anyway while the engine and radiator are out. Much easier.

Skid plate has the holes for all combo's that are factory, just move it around.

Nutter while everything is out.

May need a little mod to the Transmission cover so the shifters fit through ok.

Exhaust from AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l to AMC 150 pipe.

That's about all I can recall at the moment.

Thanks. Thats a great starting point to see what needs to go into this. Im keeping my eyes open for a motor and tranny.

what do you think about putting an AMC 304 into that jeep. will the 4 speed hold up and what would I need besides a bell housing, motor mounts and a radiator, exhaust?

a swap can be done cheap with the right donor vehicle or parts, rusted out hunks of jeeps are pretty cheap while quite a few of em run good (the driveline outlives most jeep tubs and frames of the time). Find one of those with the engine/Transmission /Transfer Case combo you want and swap it over. Just becareful and check it over good, i'd say a good running rust bucket could be had for $500 to $1000. id consider that cheap for a driveline swap. Id do this especially if you are happy with the condition of your frame and body. Remember this too some j trucks came with a 6cyl T-176 and Dana 300 just like the cj, and people damn near give them away. There was one listed here locally for $1200 that was actually pretty nice and ran like a champ all it needed really was a paint job, although it was a long wheel base truck which made it kinda ugly imo.

Droooiiddd 2

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom