buick v6

buick v6

belandscj

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 cj7
i just baut a 85 CJ7 with a Dauntless Buick 225 V6 im in iraq rite now sow i cant get up and personal with it. i was wondering what isa good Transmission /xfer case for this, keeping the ps front diff and not doing a flip on the xfer case if there is some thing that will bolt rite up thanx if this is in the wrong place i apologise im new to this stuff

Something is wrong here....An '85 CJ7 should not have a Buick anything in it. Did the PO swap that in?
If it has the stock Dana 300 'Case, I'd keep it. Depending on what tranny it has, its a toss-up on whether to keep it or not?
Can you get someone at home to post pics of it and the drivetrain?

BTW, Thank you for serving your country...

i just baut a 85 CJ7 with a Dauntless Buick 225 V6 im in iraq rite now sow i cant get up and personal with it. i was wondering what isa good Transmission /xfer case for this, keeping the ps front diff and not doing a flip on the xfer case if there is some thing that will bolt rite up thanx if this is in the wrong place i apologise im new to this stuff
I have to agree a bit about the 85
do you mean 65?
if it is a 65 with a 225 v6 you have a jewel of an engine, 155 hp with 225 pounds of torque, the Dauntless Buick 225 V6 v6 is what legends are made of

but, it it is a 65 through 67 it has a T-86 trsnny, not the best, you have a few options, first buy a t 90 and have the guts put in the T-86 case, or find a T-14 ,change the input gear on the tcase and it bolts right on.

if it is a 65 through 71 with a v6 it has a T-18 Transfer Case , good t case , accepts a warn Overdrive and or a pto unit, but both axles will be offset,
front will either be a d25 or d27, swap that to a d 30, rear will be a Dana 44 , either tapered or flanged, flanged units are great but no one is makeing new shafts for it, the rear is a bit weak unless you do a full floating axle kit to it. A guy in Washington state makes a great kit for this, making the axle almost bullet proof.

now if it is a 85, I have no clue as to why a v6 is in there, would be a good engine, most probably a 231. and as far as what tranny he swapped in or what Transfer Case , what axles or even what seats I have no clue

its an 85 the guy befor me did the swap and traded it in, the dealer said it was a 4.3 but i cheched it out and its a Dauntless Buick 225 V6 its got a worthless T-5 and a shot Dana 300 with AMC20 im doing an axle kit and when i thought it was a 4.3 i was fixin to put a th350 with a 208 for a cheap but reliable drive train. im pretty stuck as to a bolt up solution. i was just doing some resurch and found that a sm420 will bolt up to a 225 will a sm465 d0 the same to a 231 0r 252? do all the buick v6s have the same bellhousing pattern? America all the way

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom