Buried my Jeep today, with my wife, so...........

Buried my Jeep today, with my wife, so...........

escobar

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ5 258. MC2150 carb, PSC steering, Team Rush upgrade, 1 piece rear axles, all electronics relayed. Coming soon: Herculined tub, camo paint- and a bunch of filthy, muddy kids!
Ok it sounds worse than what it is but its true. I convinced my wife to go "snowing" with me on the farm (as opposed to Muddin'). She's a California city slicker and, in over 13 years of marriage its been like pulling teeth to get her into any of my projects before they're done.

So in short- I freakin' BURIED that Jeep, on accident of course. By buried, what I mean is if it would have been any worse, then a gravestone would have been appropriate. By the time I got us out she was slopping muddy from head to toe- and it was 17 degrees too. Oh man she's mad (heh heh).

I don't mean to be long winded, but it was hilarious.

So here's my question guys. While the mud was flying I noticed the left front wasn't turning near as fast or aggressively as it seemed it should. The right must have been ok judging by wifey's screaming when the mud as smacking her in the face. I had it in 4 low.

I'm thinking the front wd was acting normally- not sure though, never used 4wd before.

This is what I have, Dana 30 front, Warn lockers. Timken Superior 1 piece axle AMC20 rear.

Can anyone fill me in on these? Are they preferred? Run of the mill?

Thanks guys.

Sounds about right with an open front diff.. The tire with the least amount of traction will spin the beat h*ll, and the other is just 'along for the ride'.
Not to say it won't spin, just not as much...
This is a shot of my CJ just after I bought it. Open diff at the time, but you can clearly see that both the rear tires were digging into the sand.

74JeepCJ-5014.jpg
74JeepCJ-5013.jpg

What does "open" mean on the diff?

Is a '1 piece' axle literally 1 solid axle wheel to wheel?

I've got Warn lockers, what's the advantage over OEM?

All of these things are new and alien to me, being my first cj- or 4wd for that matter.

Oh ok. Gotcha. I really appreciate that.

Experience and technique helps a lot. Depending on the situation, sometimes 4hi is better than 4low -- and a soft throttle can sometimes do more to help then gunning it. At least that's what I've learned so far.

Well Gilmore. Experience goes out the door when you know how deep an area is, but misjudge the location covered by snow and you end up needing a snorkel. What sucks was that I grew up on the same land. That snow really disoriented me covering everything up. Gonna have to take my wife out for a nice dinner to make up for it.

I would be willing to bet when you refer to warn lockers in front you mean the locking hubs on the ends? Those are for locking in your front axle to the wheels so you can engage the 4 wheel drive system. They are not the same as a locker which is inside your differential and will lock both axles together for better traction.

That's good stuff. Man, it is frustrating- not knowing that kind of info. I love my Jeep- and I guess its obvious that I have a long road ahead.

My other projects have been muscle cars and trucks, this Jeep is something I've wanted for years. Ever walk in on an important meeting that's been going on for a while? Its right there in front of you, you missed out on a lot of the important stuff, and you're leery of asking someone what's going for running the risk of sounding dumb. That's me. I have an olds 442 with a hemi-head 455 rocket in my shop (yes, they made em') built by me. Yet- here I am as a new jeeper in pre-school.

Man this site is great. Its humbling to see and learn so much here. I live in an area where there are no Jeep clubs whatsoever. I don't have home internet because I REFUSE to pay $76 a month. So here I am on my phone squinting and digging for threads I can use and write down.

Thank you guys for the great stuff here.

:ww: Man... I'm in the same boat as you as far as knowledgeable, but not with Jeeps... :cool: This is a great site...

Seen the title of this post, had to look... Cracked me up man! Sure your wife wouldn't agree with the humor, but i'm :laugh:

Cheers! :chug:

Hey she's still traumatized, but now that she's gotten muddy maybe she'll take to it.

Its still a great dinner story- with everyone but her. When her mom came out a few days later I ALMOST got her in it too until ole' wifey came running out and stopped her.

Man that woulda made my day. I wouldve had that old bag SOAKED. Still love her though- when she's not talking.

When her mom came out a few days later I ALMOST got her in it too until ole' wifey came running out and stopped her.

Man that woulda made my day. I wouldve had that old bag SOAKED. Still love her though- when she's not talking.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::notworthy:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom