busted lug

busted lug

WolfSpring

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
59 Willys CJ5 302 V8 C4 Transmision Automatic with Warn overdrive D44 Rear D25 Front Saginaw Steering 32s with a lift
I have a busted lug on one of my rear tires, it's busted just past the tire itself, the the other four are fine and the lug bolt sheared off looks like it's just touching one side of the hole. I"m told this is no big deal, but something I need to get fixed. I'm taking it in tommorow for a free brake inspection, I'll ask the mechanic to take a look and make sure no damage has been done, but should I be worried until I can get it fixed?

Not really as long as your not offroading plus it's an easy fix.
It's probably just pressed in, knock it out and press/hammer a new one in.
You'd have to check the back of the brake to see what type it is.
Btw, I drove a 4 lug bug with just 3 lugs.

like he said, that is just too easy of a fix
hardest part is getting the part, they make quite a few different lugs and most places only carry the common ones so you may have to order it
good luck

You may also have to mess with the rear brakes to get the new one in. I had to pull the drum off of my TJ to get the old one out and install the new one. All in all, it is an easy fix.

When you do get the old one out, I have found the easiest way to put the new one in is to stack washers on the end and pull it through with a lug nut. :cool:

When you do get the old one out, I have found the easiest way to put the new one in is to stack washers on the end and pull it through with a lug nut. :cool:
That is the way to do it. An easy fix.:chug:

Darn, I almost got to rent out my hub puller again

If you cut me in for a piece of the action I will quit cutting you off at the knees.:D

again[/QUOTE]

I also use the washer trick.
I used to tack my lugs on the inside for extra security
but it's up to you. Ever try to remove a lugnut from a
lug that spins freely? IT'S A PITA!

Don't over due the tack weld thing. The stud in hardened high carbon steel and any temperature above 400 degrees will change the temper in the steel, making it softer and more inclined to bend and strip the threads.:cool:

QUOTE=BrockGrimes;53430]I also use the washer trick.
I used to tack my lugs on the inside for extra security
but it's up to you. Ever try to remove a lugnut from a
lug that spins freely? IT'S A PITA![/QUOTE]

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom