cant find 1st or 2nd gear???? help

cant find 1st or 2nd gear???? help

flybo

Jeeper
Thanks
I recently bought an 82 CJ7 with what appears to be original motor and tranny. It needed a clutch and had one installed. I pulled out of the driveway and it popped out of 1st. I put it back in and about a mile down the road, I lost first and second gear. Even with the engine off I cant find those gears. Could this be a broken shift shift fork because 3 and 4 and rev. work fine. OR could it be that the clutch install was bad.

Well, if it were a 3 speed and not worked on, I would say it was the counter shaft slipping foward and knocking you out of gear. But I doubt that is your problem. Jeep trannies are top loaders, meaning there is no external linkage for the shift mechanism. When you have to do a clutch, you have to pull the access plate on the floor and pull the shifter plate from the Transmission . If It is not installed properly, It can cause gremlins to appear out of no where. If it was fine BEFORE the clutch job, and is acting up now, i would get it back to the shop that did the work and have them fix the problem. It's most likely not a big deal.

Thanks for the info and I am bringing it back. I hope it is nothing big because Im in the doghouse already for buying it, now I tell her that its the transmisson. I need good news!

Thanks for the info and I am bringing it back. I hope it is nothing big because Im in the doghouse already for buying it, now I tell her that its the transmisson. I need good news!

Yeah, don't get too worked up just yet. Like I said, If it was fine before, I'm guessing that the mechanic just put the shifter in and missed the alignment. Let us know what hapens. By the way, is it a 4 spd Transmission ? Maybe a T 176? If so, they can be a bit of a pain to line up properly when re installing the shifter.

If it is a T-176 I think your spot on with this. I had the same thing happen when I did my clutch.
Yeah, don't get too worked up just yet. Like I said, If it was fine before, I'm guessing that the mechanic just put the shifter in and missed the alignment. Let us know what hapens. By the way, is it a 4 spd Transmission ? Maybe a T 176? If so, they can be a bit of a pain to line up properly when re installing the shifter.

While the covers off... Check for a bent shift fork.. Should show up by uneven wear on the plastic pads or scraping on the sides of the fork it self. I discovered this on my T-18 I just installed because my 4th gear would pop out as soon as you hit the gas like it wasn't fully engaging. Mine shifted fine into every gear though..... Your first and second gear would actually use the same shift fork I believe it's the bigger fork toward the rear of the cover.. Just an option :D

Good Luck,

Nick

Its fixed. I am no mechanic so I cant tell you he piece that had came off but it was a small plastic piece that fit around the rounded bottom in the shift box. Thanks.

Small plastic piece around the round bottom? The plastic wear pad on the shifter? :confused:

It really doesn't matter as long as you got it fixed! Good for you!

Out of curiosity, can you tell us what number by this picture?

attachment.php

Attachments

• t-176-177-transmission.jpg
    t-176-177-transmission.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 449
Its fixed. I am no mechanic so I cant tell you he piece that had came off but it was a small plastic piece that fit around the rounded bottom in the shift box. Thanks.

There you go, I was pretty sure that It was going to be an easy fix for you. 176 /177's are a little finicky when you pop them open, you need to pay attention putting them back together. Glad it worked out in your favor.

it was a small plastic piece that the bottom part of #34 fit into (rounded area)went into.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom