Carb question

Carb question

wilkinwm

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1941 "Slat Grill" MB,L135, Warner T84J, Spicer 18, 1975 CJ5, 258, D20, T18
Hi. I have an Offenhauser (spelling??) intake manifold someone gave me years ago. At that time it was recommended that I get a Holly 32/36 2 barrel. As the years go by, memory is not as good as it was back then. So. . . the 32/36 might not be quite right. 32/34 maybe??

What are your recommendations? Holly, Webber ??? I plan on using the new intake. Am not planning on headers, but might change my mind.

Stock AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , 3 speed and all stock undernieth (I think).

We mainly like to "tootle" along the back roads, 5 - 10 mph, but sometimes have to drive on pavement to get to the back roads and I have locked the hubs on occation to get up a hill or thru a mud slide blocking the road. And of course there are those big mud puddles :D.

Thoughts and recommendations? Thank you. //Bill

Thank you - and now I know the memory is going!! :mad: See I was told that the 32/36 would be good for the kind of driving we like to do (just didn't remember the carb make) - but I just looked at the intake manifold and it IS an Offenhauser - Dual Port, 5999, 10-20-7, but there are 4 holes on top, not 2 - making this for a 4 barrel carb?! :confused:
Is there an adaptor plate so I can use this or should I try to sell and get one for a 2 barrel.

I still think the Webber is what I was thinking about - not Holly, but at this point it does not matter to me. Performance inprovement is. Price - well cheap is better, but not at the expense of reliability. We do most of our riding by ourselves and I don't want to get standed you see! Thanks again. //Bill

You can absolutely by an adapter. Here's one from Summit Racing

Trans-Dapt Performance Products 2065 - Trans-Dapt Performance Carburetor Adapters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

trd-2065.jpg

The 32/36 Weber is a proggressive 2 barrel, meaning it's a single barrel carburetor until you mash on the accelerator, then the second barrel opens up providing more air and fuel into the engine. If you definately want a Weber carb, I would suggest a a 38 DGES 2 barrel, it's a 2 barrel carb all of the time.

If it were me, and I had an Offenhauser 4 barrel manifold laying around, I'd get a Holley 390 CFM 4 barrel carburetor. It's small enough to give you good "putting around" fuel economy but still has a set of secondaries when you need that extra umph to get yourself out of a mudhole, but again that's my 2¢ on that.

Holley 0-8007 - Holley Model 4160 Adjustable Float Carburetors - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Let us know if you have more questions :chug:

Hi. I have an Offenhauser (spelling??) intake manifold someone gave me years ago. At that time it was recommended that I get a Holly 32/36 2 barrel. As the years go by, memory is not as good as it was back then. So. . . the 32/36 might not be quite right. 32/34 maybe??

What are your recommendations? Holly, Webber ??? I plan on using the new intake. Am not planning on headers, but might change my mind.

Stock AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , 3 speed and all stock undernieth (I think).

We mainly like to "tootle" along the back roads, 5 - 10 mph, but sometimes have to drive on pavement to get to the back roads and I have locked the hubs on occation to get up a hill or thru a mud slide blocking the road. And of course there are those big mud puddles :D.

Thoughts and recommendations? Thank you. //Bill

Always good to tell us what you are working on. Your bio info says 1975, so that is my guess... That is cast iron manifolds and single barrel carb.

Look at your intake... most likely will have 1/2" mtd flange.
The cast iron stuff usually have about a 1" flange. so plan ahead

Also a good swap to take intake & exhaust manifold off a AMC car like a eagle... cheaper like $35 for both and pretty good results. The intake can be used only but headers for AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l are god awfull expensive. I forget what I paid for my SS Borla $450 or so

Weber 32/36 or 34/34 or the motorcraft 2100 are the carbs most common. Unless you want to drive with you foot in it all the time, I would not recommend the 38,, my opinion sorry.

The 32/36 will offer the best gen mileage,
The 34 was developed so there was more operation range on 1 barrel and less of a jump when you open up he second barrel.

The areas to increase performance, best bang for buck
Carb
Intake
Ignition

could also sell the 4 barrel offenhouser intake they are pricey little buggers and the guys that are trying to squeeze 180 hp out the 100 hp AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l may pay. pay enough to pay for your new carb.

I can also share... the Jeep Alumium Intake... the early ones are rough inside the air/fuel passages. The later productions in the 84-86 are smoother and the casting quality looks better. I discussed this with two mechanics I value opinion of... the rough one could be better for low rpms and trail ride because it smooths out the fuel deliver. The smoother casting will help air flow for higher rpms but may be a bit more jump when trying to control low rpm and gentle moves. I have a rough one out of a AMC eagle and ran both eagle manifolds before I got the borla header.

You can absolutely by an adapter. Here's one from Summit Racing

Trans-Dapt Performance Products 2065 - Trans-Dapt Performance Carburetor Adapters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

trd-2065.jpg

The 32/36 Weber is a proggressive 2 barrel, meaning it's a single barrel carburetor until you mash on the accelerator, then the second barrel opens up providing more air and fuel into the engine. If you definately want a Weber carb, I would suggest a a 38 DGES 2 barrel, it's a 2 barrel carb all of the time.

If it were me, and I had an Offenhauser 4 barrel manifold laying around, I'd get a Holley 390 CFM 4 barrel carburetor. It's small enough to give you good "putting around" fuel economy but still has a set of secondaries when you need that extra umph to get yourself out of a mudhole, but again that's my 2¢ on that.

Holley 0-8007 - Holley Model 4160 Adjustable Float Carburetors - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Let us know if you have more questions :chug:

that adapter wont work. it puts the carb barrels over half of each hole in the intake. i just went thru this acouple weeks ago.

i got a holley 600 cfm carb for mine and i took the rod off that kicks in the secondary barrels and im just going to run it off the primarys.

Thanks everyone! Lots in info here - lots to ponder! Holly, Webber, Motorcraft!

What is the DGEV and DGV and D??? mean? I was looking yesterday and my thought was clockwise or counter-clockwise of the throttle??

Seems to me I had put a small Holly 4 barrel on the '76 CJ5 I had (still have the Holly stickers). But then I was going for the stomp effect - Headman headers, dual exast in front of the back tires - you know.

So - of the options listed above, for my '75 Stock AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , 3 speed, CJ5 - for us mostly on back roads "leaving no Footprints" and average less than 10 MPH over a 6-8 hour period (the 1 barrell just doesn't like going that slow for that long) is one better than the other? :dunno: Thanks again. //Bill

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom