Carb rebuild in progress, holy ton of parts!

Carb rebuild in progress, holy ton of parts!

Rust Bucket

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'75 CJ5 304 3 speed, '12 GMC Terrain, '07 F-150
I just have to say WOW! :eek: How many more parts could they possibly cram into a carb? Seriously, simple it is not.

Tonight was the fun part, taking the thing apart. Below are some pics.

Tomorrow I will clean and put her back together. The rust from my old gas tank really did a number on this poor 'ole carb. Take a look at the rust particles left behind!

Excellent job marking everything! Just a couple things I noticed though, take out the jets and clean the ports and the jets as well. And take off the fuel inlet connector, there's a little wire mesh fuel filter in there. Spray the :dung: out of the inlet with carb cleaner as well. If you have any questions during reassembly let us know.

Excellent job marking everything! Just a couple things I noticed though, take out the jets and clean the ports and the jets as well. And take off the fuel inlet connector, there's a little wire mesh fuel filter in there. Spray the :dung: out of the inlet with carb cleaner as well. If you have any questions during reassembly let us know.

Do those jets simply screw in/out? I couldn't get them out without using a lot of force.

Do those jets simply screw in/out? I couldn't get them out without using a lot of force.
Big flat head screw driver and turn left (CCW) real hard!:)

BTW - You make my carb rebuild look down right bad! I just tear it all apart and trow the parts into the carb cleaning bucket... :)

Nice job!

Elwood, thanks for the input. I'll pull those parts off as well.

Big flat head screw driver and turn left (CCW) real hard!:)

BTW - You make my carb rebuild look down right bad! I just tear it all apart and trow the parts into the carb cleaning bucket... :)

Nice job!

CJ, it probably looks as if I'm suffering from an extreme case of OCD! :) Truth is, I am SOOOOO afraid I'll take the damn thing apart and forget how to put it back together, lol. My memory is just that bad! Thanks for the compliment though! :notworthy:

Guess it's time to find a big *** screw driver!

OCD is a good thing is this case. Just be careful with that big *** screwdriver. The jets are brass and will strip easily.

At first glance I did think "OCD", Just kidding but a great job labeling everything And I'm like CJ just toss parts in a bucket of cleaner. But it's not as bad as it seems. And deff let us know if any questions/problems pop up. Oh and the PO gave a whole unessembled extra carb that I have been fooling with so I can put it together and keep as a spare.

OCD is a good thing is this case. Just be careful with that big *** screwdriver. The jets are brass and will strip easily.

Got it. That was my concern from the beginning. It's hard to believe my man cave isn't home to a screw driver that can handle this job. Of all the tools to purchase, who would have thought it would be a screwdriver, lol. :eek:

The member support on this site is incredible. I'll be sure to post any questions as this project resumes tomorrow. :chug:

If you have fun with this one you can pick up a junked out Quadrajet and rebuild that or you can have two large men beat you with clubs or perhaps run through briars if you’re really into that sort of abuse.

For real.
Good neat job, well done. It will pay off.

I'm into the carburetor cleaner too. Its amazing what comes out of a carburetor when you soak it for a day or two.:dung:

My friend's husband recently rebuilt a carb. He laid everything out nice like you did, but he didnt label things. He used his digital camera and took pics. He took a pic of the carb and the part he had just taken out. When it was time to put it back together, he knew what part went where.

Did I mention that I dont think his engine is firing on all cylinders? And I think there are only 4 of them?

for me the exploded veiw diagram works well it is provided in your rebuild kit. use plenty of carb cleaner and replace your filters and any cracked hoses . That is a fairly simple carb be paitent and youll have it running good:D

My friend's husband recently rebuilt a carb. He laid everything out nice like you did, but he didnt label things. He used his digital camera and took pics. He took a pic of the carb and the part he had just taken out. When it was time to put it back together, he knew what part went where.

Did I mention that I dont think his engine is firing on all cylinders? And I think there are only 4 of them?

I took a ton of pics as well! It wa firing on all cylinders. We'll see if it does tomorrow, lol.

So, I'm installing the float now, but I'm not sure how to measure and adjust it. Could someone give me some insight? Do I measure from the top or bottom of the bowl?

Good find. I'm saving that one, it's got some good info in it.

How's everything else coming?

The rebuild was a succes!!!!!!!!!:chug:
It runs like a champ now! I still have to do some fine tuning, but overall I'm stoked! Funny thing is, now a have a shiny silver carb on an otherwise greasy, black engine. LOL

Thanks to all of you for the support. You all helped make it possible. :notworthy:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom