Carb Replacement

Carb Replacement

Tim

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7 258 i6 with the 4 speed manual
I have an '83 CJ7 with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l (everything stock) that needs a carb replacement. I have spoken to a few people and have been told that going with a rebuilt motorcraft 2100 is the way to go for an economical and decent replacement. I have found one for $275 and what I'm wondering is if that is a good price, and if you guys agree that is the way to go. Thanks again for the help.

I have an '83 CJ7 with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l (everything stock) that needs a carb replacement. I have spoken to a few people and have been told that going with a rebuilt motorcraft 2100 is the way to go for an economical and decent replacement. I have found one for $275 and what I'm wondering is if that is a good price, and if you guys agree that is the way to go. Thanks again for the help.

There is a fellow on Ebay that sells complete mc 2100 kits, including the adapter plate and mounting hardware. His kit is in that same price range. I haven't used one, but have heard some good things about his setup...

That is a good price for a 2100. I like the 2100, but also believe that a pre 1981 BBD is hard to beat. My o2:)

i have $80 wrapped up in my 2100. bought it from a buddy for $20, paid about $20 for a rebuild kit at work, got the adaptor thru summit for i think $16 with shipping, then i added a spacer and a couple more gaskets for $5, and the rest for carb cleaner and brushes to clean it.

im cheap when it comes to my jeep. i use word of mouth at work, craigslist, and ebay. if i cant find them that way then i get the parts at work or internet.

The guy on e-bay sells a good complete kit and is easy to deal with. He also sells a cool air cleaner setup to run a K & N style filter.

I have an '85. The 2100 was one of the best upgrades I've done. I got mine for about that price. I would suggest it to anyone that needs a carb upgrade. I'm going to upgrade mine from carb to GM TBI. I found a guy that is willing to sell me most of the stuff I need to do this upgrade from a '91 Blazer 4.3L for $50. I'm looking forward to this upgrade.

I would ask what makes the replacement a necessary thing?? and ask why you would not rebuild the carter you have? The MC 2100 is more than likely a better carb but it will not be a "plug and play" you have issues with the fuel lines, linkage and air cleaner to deal with and if you look through the archives you will find more than a few guys cursing the day they paid some guy on E bay for this crappy carb.
For this reason i think doing the carb in stages is is a good thing and a great learning experience.
rebuild the carter make it run well and you have something to compare it to.
Go to the grave yard and pick up an MC2100 and everything you can pull related to it and do the kit on it, find the adapter and design the linkage, work the air cleaner problem out and then tell us how much of an improvement you actually made.
when all this is done you may very well have made the Jeep better but you certainly are closer to being a "Jeep guy".

There are plenty of places to spend money on your Jeep so save the money for something you really need to buy.
$250 for a carb, $20 rebuild kit, $40 junk yard carb. do the math.:cool:
If working on your jeep is not a fun thing, you may want to rethink your vehicle choice.:D

For me, I think the obvious upgrade is fuel injection. No matter what you do, a carb is ancient technology. Drag your Jeep into the new millennium.:D

I have to agree with IO, why make someone else rich. The boneyards are full of old fords with 2100's on them for cheap. Or chevy 4.3 tbi systems are all over for cheap now also.

I would ask what makes the replacement a necessary thing?? and ask why you would not rebuild the carter you have? The MC 2100 is more than likely a better carb but it will not be a "plug and play" you have issues with the fuel lines, linkage and air cleaner to deal with and if you look through the archives you will find more than a few guys cursing the day they paid some guy on E bay for this crappy carb.
For this reason i think doing the carb in stages is is a good thing and a great learning experience.
rebuild the carter make it run well and you have something to compare it to.
Go to the grave yard and pick up an MC2100 and everything you can pull related to it and do the kit on it, find the adapter and design the linkage, work the air cleaner problem out and then tell us how much of an improvement you actually made.
when all this is done you may very well have made the Jeep better but you certainly are closer to being a "Jeep guy".

There are plenty of places to spend money on your Jeep so save the money for something you really need to buy.
$250 for a carb, $20 rebuild kit, $40 junk yard carb. do the math.:cool:
If working on your jeep is not a fun thing, you may want to rethink your vehicle choice.:D

For me, I think the obvious upgrade is fuel injection. No matter what you do, a carb is ancient technology. Drag your Jeep into the new millennium.:D

Before I put the 2100 on my jeep, I rebuilt the carter that was there. It didn't run right before the rebuild, and I didn't get it to run right after. I even bought another rebuild kit and had someone else rebuild it after I did. It was just a piece of :dung:. So, I bought a rebuilt 2100 and the adapter that someone had just taken off of his jeep. It was pretty much a plug and play for me. I had to fabricate one piece to make the existing linkage work. I also had to put an extra spring on. I haven't had a problem with the ford carb since I put it on. I've replaced the filter, but that's been it. I found one of those little custom air cleaners that just fits over the top of the carb. I think it's Cal-Custom brand from Autozone. I would have been fine with the carter if I could have made it work. I came to the conclusion that if I had to buy another carb, I would upgrade. That's how I got my 2100. Like I said before, I intend to upgrade to GM tbi soon.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom