Carb swap question

stoney bones

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 CJ7

258ci, mc2100 ,SR4 trans, dana 300 Tcase, dana 30 front, amc 20 2 piece rear
im looking to ditch the 1bbl carb that the previous owner had put on my cj. i was considering the weber performance 2 bbl. im also just about to purchase the DUI ignition (not sure if it matters in the slightest,thought i would say tho) . so, 2 questions here. the first, i've seen many choices of carbs out there. my vehicle is a DD and being set up as a light - medium duty trail rider. what carb is best for me to maintain dignity at the pump and trail? 2nd question, does the intake manifold matter at all? or will any carb bolt on?

Have you given any thought into a TBI fuel injection system? Its the best of both worlds, both power and economy.

To get the best performance and overall operation of 2bbl carb or tbi you should switch to the 81/82-90 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l water heated aluminum intake manifold and exhaust manifold. Both bolt right up to your engine and current exhaust system. 2bbl to 1bbl adapter are kind of sketchy and have fuel atomization issues.

Would you please post some pictures of the carb/manifold?? something tells me there is more to this story.:D

thanks for the info, im looking into the TBI right now. do you have any suggested manufacturers?

im also going to look out for that intake you suggested. for the intake, am i ok to buy a used one, or would i be better off sourcing a new one? i wouldnt mind spending a few extra dollars for a new one if it will really make a difference over a 'good' used one.

yes, pics coming shortly.

april_23_2011-10.jpg
april_23_2011-8.jpg
april_23_2011-9.jpg

hope this helps.

I would bet lunch you have a 2 bbl intake. :D

i was going to ask about that cause i did the vin check and saw this came with a 2bbl. i honestly couldnt tell 1 intake from another but i started wondering about it when i started looking into changing the carb.

i may owe you lunch...

Yup, thats a water heated 2 barrel intake for sure.

dang dang, this forum saving me money already. thanks folks :D

Have we identified the one BBL yet? Looks hollyish to me but I'm not an expert.:eek:

In case you interested this is the tbi on the same intake as yours
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304619213.561806.jpg

So we are saying our guest does not know the difference between a 1 and 2 bbl carb? I thought it was a carter myself but the top front cover only has one screw and the filter/fuel inlet is all wrong with no fuel bypass and, of course the possibility that it is, in fact a 1 bbl. check out the vent? on the drivers side of the float bowl. I don't know about tiis one and it's too far away to look at up close.:D

Carter bbd 2bbl carb factory equipment

So we are saying our guest does not know the difference between a 1 and 2 bbl carb? I thought it was a carter myself but the top front cover only has one screw and the filter/fuel inlet is all wrong with no fuel bypass and, of course the possibility that it is, in fact a 1 bbl. check out the vent? on the drivers side of the float bowl. I don't know about tiis one and it's too far away to look at up close.:D

Pretty sure its the Carter BBD 2BBL. They made many different variants of it over the years. http://www.carbkitsource.com/carbs/tech/Carter/BBD-index.html

Theres no manifold adapter and that manifold only came as a 2bbl.

Last edited:
carter 1bbl. it says carter on the side. there is no tag on it anywhere, some random numbers on either side didnt match anything in the carter carb id list. but anyhow, you take off the air cleaner and there is only one barrel

Last edited:
carter 1bbl. just went and verified.

Did you open up the choke plate on top and look inside? There should be a single choke butterfly and two throttle butterlys below it....
mtrpins2.jpg

I doubt that it is a 1bbl that water heated manifold afaik was never make in a 1bbl version.

Did you open up the choke plate on top and look inside? There should be a single choke butterfly and two throttle butterlys below it....
mtrpins2.jpg

I doubt that it is a 1bbl that water heated manifold afaik was never make in a 1bbl version.

mine seems to be the same as the last one on the page from the link you posted, ill run out right now and check inside carb

73jeep, you are correct sir.

Carter BBD - late 70's 318 CID

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom