carb ?

carb ?

1sickcj

Jeeper
Thanks
when I drive my cj for a couple miles it feels like its not getting enough
fuel and or is getting to much mostly when I am between 2nd and third
as long as I am going slow in 2nd it runs good is this a carb problem?

Probably, but we need a few more details. What size engine? What carb type? Do you know when it was rebuilt last?

There could be many, many reasons for that to happen. First thing to do is to put in new fuel filter, a clogged one could be the problem.

Could be fuel pump, carb and more.

As EB said, more information would really help... :)

engine is AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 6 cylinder with single barrell carb do not know when or
if carb was ever rebuilt again engine runs great going down hill but
sputters and chokes and back fires when accelerating up hill but seems
fine on level surface

Ah, the Carter YF :dung:. I just recently finished swapping out my single barrel Carter for a Motorcraft 2100. They are known to be finicky, and only last three or four years between rebuilds.

What you are describing sounds like a sticky float, I've been through that before :mad:. But, it could also be just what CJ said, a plugged up fuel filter.

If you're up to it, it's not a bad rebuild, and you can go to NAPA to pick up all of the parts. Just don't forget to get a new float when you order the rebuild kit. While you're there, you might as well get a new fuel filter, and a new Ignition Control Module (ICM) they're only about $20. All of this will be less than $100, and should help dramatically. :booze:

Ah, the Carter YF :dung:. I just recently finished swapping out my single barrel Carter for a Motorcraft 2100. They are known to be finicky, and only last three or four years between rebuilds.... :booze:

I think that's what I need to do too... either upgrade or rebuild my carb. My jeep will run for 200 feet and then die with a full tank of gas and the starter does crank (crank no start situation). I too have the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 6 cylinder with single barrel carb. I've replaced the ignition, distributor, wires, sparks and fuel pump to date. Now I fear its time to tear apart the carb. I'll check the fuel filter first... but fuel does seem to be reaching the inlet tube of the carb (theres a clear filter inline just before it and fuel pumps into it just fine, although the gas appears black in color). Any further advice?

Thanks!

Hello jason242 and welcome to our site! :chug:

The Carter carb can be finicky but this statement really stood out -'although the gas appears black in color' - how old is your fuel and why is is black?

If your fuel is contaminated n any way it may have 'lacquered up' your carb and rebuild is indeed needed...

Hi and welcome jason242. I'm in 100% agreement with CJ on this one. Sounds like you've got some bad old gas, or some serious rust issues either in your lines or your tank.

im with elwood. i just put a motorcraft carb on and made a heck of a difference.

???? black fuel?? Any chance you, or someone else has replaced the steel fuel line with a rubber one?

To both guys, put a fuel filter before the pump and before the carb, that's right 2 filters. I had a similar issue run fine then run like :dung:, spit and sputter and shut off and take a bit to restart. Put 2 filters on it one before the pump and one after before the carb (carter) and it runs like a champ. Plus I replaced all the rubber fuel line in the system.

Thanks. I think the fuel lines are steel. I will check for contamination. I'm not able to get to my rig often so it may be a while before I post again but I will update when possible.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks