carburetors

carburetors

jwill22

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 Cj-7, rebuilt 258i, Carb-Motorcraft 2150, TFI ignition, T-176, Dana 300, dana 30 in front, Rear Dana 44, 4in lift, 33in tires, 4:10 gears
whats a good brand or decent one to get.. i have a straight 6, AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . im guessing it be best to stick with a 2 barrel? right? i heard edelbrock would be something i shouldnt look for. I have a project crawler. im just curious as to what be something i should be looking for.

I have a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l in my 88' wrangler and I run the Offenhauser dual plane intake with a Holley 390 cfm 4brl. On my V8 I'm running the Holley truck avenger. I love it. It's been great climbing waterfalls, sidehill, bouncing no problems. The smallest truck avenger I've seen is 470cfm, but you can modify the 390 with offroad seats & a croos over tube.

Sorry about the FatFingerError. That was cross over tube.:D

It depends on what you are doing with your car and what you want to do. It differs on what you are doing for example if you want performance then it would be different than if you want a faster speed.

well its gonna be my some what get around jeep but not to much, i will drive it on the street to get to where i wanna off road at?? but i mainly wanna use it for rock crawling, im guessin i dont need to much speed, more power probably?? right

A nice cheap carb thats good off-road is the Mc2100. You need an adapter plate ,fab up a bracket for the linkage ,and use a V-8 accelerator cable. Its a user friendly carb thatdoesnt flood out at angles like the bbd carter.

i use that plug even though i have a straight 6???

I would go with the mc2100 it works good in the rocks and such. The webber is good also. But if you want the best way to go it would be EFI.

Ditto on the EFI ,its an Awesome setup!

I just finished a Motorcraft 2100 swap. What a big difference in power, and all in all it wasn't a bad amount of work. I had a few kinks to figure out, but well worth the money.

whats a good brand or decent one to get.. i have a straight 6, AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . im guessing it be best to stick with a 2 barrel? right? i heard edelbrock would be something i shouldnt look for. I have a project crawler. im just curious as to what be something i should be looking for.

To be quite frank,
You should NOT use a carb on a 'Project Crawler'.
If you are going to do extreme angles, there is no substitute for FUEL INJECTION.
No matter what you do, you will NEVER get a carb to function as well as a cheap throttle body fuel injection system.

There are several carbs pretty closely matched for off road applications,
BUT,
The carb that stands out for interchangeability and tuneability, parts intended and purpose built for off road is Holley.

The Holley 'Truck Avenger' is set up for off road right out of the box, and will serve you as good as any carb will on trails.

I concur with team rushes hypothesis.:D

All though propane is even better. That stuff will run upside down, then all you have to worry about is oil pressure!:cool:

I ran a holley off road carb before I changed to TBI. The TBI is WAY WAY better in the rocks than the holley was. I have also ran propane in the past it is every bit as good as EFI off road, just harder to find a place to fill up at the end of the day.

hey long horn putting a offenhauser and 4 barrel on my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l CJ7 can you post pic of throtttle linkange or let me know wut your set up is

I'm not at the ranch right now, but I use a Wrangler cable setup. The linkage snaps on a ball stud. The bracket bolted on the carb stud. I hope this helps.;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom