Carter or Holley

JoeMac

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7 All stock
2007 Grand Cherokee
Hello CJ.com,

Im always adjusting my carter carb. Do you think I should spend the extra money to get the holley?

Yes, or an Edelbrock. I have owned all three. IMHO Holly or Edelbrock are better carburators. They are geared to the after market. You can call them up and ask questions about installation or jetting.
Now a more important question is if it is worth it to remove a Carter to buy an Edelbrock or Holly. If you have more time than money stick with the Carter and spend the time to get it right. I never did care for my carter but it gets the job done. If you have the money get an Edelbrock or Holly.

I know there are a lot of people that swear by the Carter and I am sure I will catch heck for saying to get rid of a Carter to spend money on an after-market Carb but it's my opinion and I am sticking with it.

Thank you for your opinion. I like to see where this discussion goes from here.

Check some of my posts. Have talked at length about the Edlebrock and what was done to make it work well.

Mc 2100... Imo
:chug:

Thats a loaded question. Was it rebuilt? Rebuilt correctly? I myself dont really care for the Carter. Yours has the stepper on it and that adds to the mess. There are a few good write ups out there about how to "fix" the Carters crankiness if youd like to keep it stock. That doesnt seem to be your cup of tea.

If I had the money to throw at a carb like a Holley or Edelbrock Id get more involved with the mods to get the most bang for the buck. I think if you go that route youd want to grab a intake and header as well. :D

My opinion has been stated on here a few times. Im more "low buck" and would look for a good Mc2100. Grab one from the salvage yard if you have the ability to rebuild it. My first try netted me a good carb that I messed up installing the adapter plate. :eek: I bought one off Ebay recently and love the way it reacts. The Scrambler has sat alot but fires up easily and runs well. I'll be interested in what you decide on.

Hello CJ.com,

Im always adjusting my carter carb. Do you think I should spend the extra money to get the holley?

Last edited:
As far as I know there is no direct replacement for the Carter BBD carburetor, either Holly or Edelbrock. It would be necessary to replace the intake with a rather expencive after market manifold. Not a bad thing , just depends on how serious you are about this project.:D

Should we mention TBI???:D

I just found one on ebay for 240. Not sure what im going to do yet. Will the mc2100 be good with emissions?

As far as I know there is no direct replacement for the Carter BBD carburetor, either Holly or Edelbrock. It would be necessary to replace the intake with a rather expencive after market manifold. Not a bad thing , just depends on how serious you are about this project.:D

For some reason I assumed we were talking about a V8. Holly and Edelbrock don't make good carburetors for the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . IO is right even if you spend the money to install a 4 barrel it will suck too much gas. A 4 barrel should only use 2 barrels until you need more but be careful not to get too much of a carb. If you tune an MC2100 right you should get good gas mileage and pass emissions.

MC2100 all the way scruffy_smiley.png

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom