Carter YF leaky

Carter YF leaky

CJ777

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ7, 2001 silverado, 2005 A4,41 F100,77 F350
Why is my Carter Yf leaking profusely out of the diafram lifetr link housing? What did i do wrong ?I totally rebuilt the carb, let it soak for a week, throroughly cleaned, new rebuild kit, installed and it leaks like a shiv from the lifter link housing.

I replaced mine for that same reason. :D I never diagnosed it, just replaced it. Good luck, hope you get it fixed.

Thanks, it wasn't leaking from that spot before i did the rebuild, so i'm thinking i screwed up somewhere, but nothing i remember other than what i took off.

double check the metering rod adjustment and the float level.:cool:
I would guess you are overfilling the float bowl.

double check the metering rod adjustment and the float level.:cool:
I would guess you are overfilling the float bowl.

IO, thanks, but I've tried and still leaking. This is what i 've thought of first as well, it makes sense. Unless i am not adjusting correctly.

IO, thanks, but I've tried and still leaking. This is what i 've thought of first as well, it makes sense. Unless i am not adjusting correctly.

thats the only thing that I can see that would cause it to leak is if the float bowl over filled.:wtf:
did you replace the float valve??
check the float and see if it has a leak in it so it won't float??
Thats all I got.:dunno:
I would have to set the float down a couple of millimeters and see if it helps.
Spec. reads .476, range between .444 and .508, inch float level and 1 3/8 inch float drop. :cool:
not that I think it changes anything but do you have altitude compensation??

thats the only thing that I can see that would cause it to leak is if the float bowl over filled.:wtf:
Spec. reads .476, range between .444 and .508, inch float level and 1 3/8 inch float drop. :cool:

I really hope this doesnt happen with mine when i get it going :confused:

no, i do not have an altitude compensater. I've adjusted my dry float at 15/32" and wet @ 1-5/8" intially and went all over the place since trying to make it work. The float is original and is brass which I did find two leaks in it and plugged 'em with solder. I have been also trying diff. adjustments on the metering rod. I am about out of idea's. May have to bring it to work and have a mechanic take a look at it.
Thanks again IO, Mike

no, i do not have an altitude compensater. I've adjusted my dry float at 15/32" and wet @ 1-5/8" intially and went all over the place since trying to make it work. The float is original and is brass which I did find two leaks in it and plugged 'em with solder. I have been also trying diff. adjustments on the metering rod. I am about out of idea's. May have to bring it to work and have a mechanic take a look at it.
Thanks again IO, Mike

If you soldered a leak in a float you are a hole lot better at than I am.:notworthy:

reduce the 1 5/8 to 1 3/8 wet , you may be falling past center and not comming up when it fills.:cool:

It has to be the valve not sealing.

If you soldered a leak in a float you are a hole lot better at than I am.:notworthy:

reduce the 1 5/8 to 1 3/8 wet , you may be falling past center and not comming up when it fills.:cool:

It has to be the valve not sealing.

Thanks, I'll give that a try and let you know. I'm getting to the point where i may turn it over to a professional.:(

Finally got it working correctly. It was the float valve not seating correctly. Found some debris around the seat(really strange). Not sure how it got here ,but it did. After tearing the carb apart about 15 times, i know it like the back of my hand.:eek:

Finally got it working correctly. It was the float valve not seating correctly. Found some debris around the seat(really strange). Not sure how it got here ,but it did. After tearing the carb apart about 15 times, i know it like the back of my hand.:eek:

feels a lot better than taking it to a "professional". doesn't it??:D

I find that the largest part of mechanical repair of any kind is tenacity.:cool:

I spoke too soon, now the thing leaks once it is warmed up a bit ?

I spoke too soon, now the thing leaks once it is warmed up a bit ?

It still has to be the same problem, the bowl is too full. did you replace the filter?
I am still wondering where the trash in the float valve came from, the biggest problem with the carter carbs is that they don't handle dirt well. Most of the problems people have with carters, IMHO, are from a dirty carburetor.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom