Chevy305/700r4tran?

Chevy305/700r4tran?

Dano12771

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 cj7. Stock. I4,t4trans,Dana 300t-case
Just wondering if a chevy 305/700r4 Transmission out of a camero is a good swap for my CJ7 build. not sure on the year yet he claims it's post 85 but I need to get some numbers off it and try to confirm the year. Motor is fuel injected and he said they have around 80,000 miles on it. He's asking $500 for both. What do. Guys think. :confused:

I'd look for a 350.

That's what I was wondering. I've read up on the 700 Transmission and from what I read it was a good swap because of the low 1st gear and the Overdrive and to look for something after 85 when gm worked out the kinks. The article didn't specify wether it mattered if it was in a car or came out of a truck. As for the motor I fig because it came w that Transmission and was fuel injected it might workout ok. My original plan was the sbc 350 w/350 Transmission . But came across this set from a guy I worked with. Any ideas on years to look for or what vehicles the 350/350 were in feel free to post it. Oh yeah thanks to everyone who helped me narrow done my axles for my build. I'll be going w/ the Dana 30 up front and I picked up my ford 88 last week. :)

what ever chevy combo you go with just make sure the Transmission is out of a 4x4.

First, yeah....stay away from the 305, not the most desireable sbc.

350's changed so much over the years, it's pretty much just "pick which one you want". Everything Chevy made bolts up to it for the most part.

As far as tranys, the NP435 is probably the best offroad choice as far as a manual tranny goes. Granny low, and tough as hell. the SM465 is a good and common tranny, but extremelly heavy. I reiterate heavy. the 435 is easy enough to find also, they are plentifull. Along with that tranny, one of the best xfercases ever built was common-place behind it. The NP205 is a gear driven, cast iron case that is about as strong as it gets. Better then the Dana 300 for that reason, and also for the fact you wont need an adapter. These are also plentiful and relatively cheap.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to start researching these choices asap. I really want to get this build going now that I have the axles I'm going to use:)

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a np435 out of a dodge or ford? Won't I need an adapter to use it w/ a sbc 350. :confused:

That's what I was wondering. I've read up on the 700 Transmission and from what I read it was a good swap because of the low 1st gear and the Overdrive and to look for something after 85 when gm worked out the kinks. The article didn't specify wether it mattered if it was in a car or came out of a truck. As for the motor I fig because it came w that Transmission and was fuel injected it might workout ok. My original plan was the sbc 350 w/350 Transmission . But came across this set from a guy I worked with. Any ideas on years to look for or what vehicles the 350/350 were in feel free to post it. Oh yeah thanks to everyone who helped me narrow done my axles for my build. I'll be going w/ the Dana 30 up front and I picked up my ford 88 last week. :)

You read that thread on Pirate again did`nt you ?

Dana 30 vs 44 New angle............. - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

I did read it great article. Seems to be 50/50. For now I'm gong to stick w/the 30. But maybe later swap to a 44. I'll always have that option. Not to chg the subject but since I'm here, I found a 700 Transmission out of a 92 4x4 from my neighborhood auto supply yard. Guy told me it has around 80-100,000 miles and wants $550 for it also comes w/a warranty. I know it seems a little pricey. What do you guys think? He has a NP208 for it for $200, but I'm not to thrill:)ed about a chain driven Transfer Case . I think I'll stick w/ my Dana 300 .

I did read it great article. Seems to be 50/50. For now I'm gong to stick w/the 30. But maybe later swap to a 44. I'll always have that option. Not to chg the subject but since I'm here, I found a 700 Transmission out of a 92 4x4 from my neighborhood auto supply yard. Guy told me it has around 80-100,000 miles and wants $550 for it also comes w/a warranty. I know it seems a little pricey. What do you guys think? He has a NP208 for it for $200, but I'm not to thrill:)ed about a chain driven Transfer Case . I think I'll stick w/ my Dana 300 .

I`d pass.

You want an automatic or manual ? Gotta narrow that down first.

Was leaning more toward the automatic 700 for the low 1st gear and the od. But I'm still open to a manual. I guess I'd take either one if the price was right and it would bolt up to a sbc.

Was leaning more toward the automatic 700 for the low 1st gear and the od. But I'm still open to a manual. I guess I'd take either one if the price was right and it would bolt up to a sbc.

4L60 is the "new" 700R4.

None of the manuals are going to be fast shifting performance transmissions. If you want a fast shifting, tire chirping Transmission your best bet would be an automatic. The 4 speed auto`s have a low 1st gear and an Overdrive 4th. With a lock up converter also.

Like anything. You gotta decide what you want the Jeep to do. Then decide accordingly.

I couldn't agree with you more. Dont plan on doing any burn outs on pavement. I guess I feel the 700trans for a on road and off road jeep would be ideal especially strapped to a sbc. I guess you guys agree that 550$ for the 700 Transmission is a little pricey. So I'll keep looking. Craigslist will def get some use this weekend. FYI I've worked on the dies that produce the 4l60,4l60e,and 4l80. Huge dies. :)

I couldn't agree with you more. Dont plan on doing any burn outs on pavement. I guess I feel the 700trans for a on road and off road jeep would be ideal especially strapped to a sbc. I guess you guys agree that 550$ for the 700 Transmission is a little pricey. So I'll keep looking. Craigslist will def get some use this weekend. FYI I've worked on the dies that produce the 4l60,4l60e,and 4l80. Huge dies. :)

Only problem I have with the 4L60/700R4 family is the big jump from 1st to 2nd gear. The ratio jump is the largest of any GM automatic in history.
In a light weight Jeep the jump is not that big a deal.

Add the weight of a full size pickup, even with a V8 and it just drives me crazy. Reving up and pulling pretty good in 1st then falling on it`s face in 2nd. I had a 1/2 ton 5.3 Chevy PU with the 4L60E and tried to get used to it. Ended up dumping it and getting a 2500HD with the 4L80. Now I am a happy camper.

FWIW, a 4L60E (in a jeep) or even a 4L80E would be tits up :notworthy: with a SBC/LSx. Several companies, included GMPP make stand along TCM`s for each Transmission . So you could even go that route.

Novak and Advance make adapters for your Dana 300 .

BTW; I use the 4L60 and 4L60E as one in the same in the conversation.

Yes you are right as the 4l60/4l60e being the same minus the electronic shift over the hydro shift. I noticed that to after my post I stand corrected.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom