chlutch chatter

chlutch chatter

cjnewbie

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj7 360 3 speed
my 79 cj has a 360 and the three speed i put the motor in around 1000 miles ago and put a new chlutch in then just becuse but the past few days it has started to chatter or shake what ever you want to call it when i take off everything looks fine so any ideas what causes this ?

there are a few things, and quite a few mean pulling the tranny to fix
but first do not dispair, go adjust the clutch linkage to the recomended amount of freeplay. If that does not work.........
the flywheel could need turning
the pilot bearing could be shot
the throw out bearing could be out of position, or wearing on the preasure plate forks
the clutch fork could be not properly aligned
amoung a few other things
or if the pilot bearing was not properly set the front input shaft of the tranny could have worn the bearings and be swinging a bit which means in a few days your tranny will need a rebuild.

I am not trying to be the profit of doom here, but find out if it is a little problem before it gets to be a big one

on my 67 I had chatter only in reverse, I pulled it to find the throwout bearing was misaligned and eating into the PP forks. so while there I resurfaced the flywheel. and added an entire new clutch setup. cost bucks but it had destroyed that much. I had owned the Jeep about 6 months and had been rebuilding it so I had about 50 miles on it myself, the PO had just ignored it I guess.

It could also be that a little oil got onto the disc. That will cause it to chatter like hell and drive you nuts. If you're bound to pull it down and inspect or change it out, here's an old school trick that over the years, has worked for me many times. Pull it up against a tree, put it in 4th, and let out the clutch till it smokes. Don't go nuts, just slip it till it gets hot. It will burn out the oil, and many times fixes the problem without hurting the disc. (again, don't go nuts and kill it) Eather way, you fix it easy, or you end up pulling it down. I was taught this by an old timer Jeep mechanic.

ok i hope it is the oil thing and that was my guess becuse my rear main leaks and has been getting worse lately so i hope that is it i think i will try the heat the chlutch trick first becuse i adjusted the linkage yesterday when all this started and everything else was eather new or in great shape like i said about 1000 miles ago and thanks for the input guys i will try it and get back to you

thanks Cold, I had forgot that one:(

Last edited:
ok i hope it is the oil thing and that was my guess becuse my rear main leaks and has been getting worse lately so i hope that is it i think i will try the heat the chlutch trick first becuse i adjusted the linkage yesterday when all this started and everything else was eather new or in great shape like i said about 1000 miles ago and thanks for the input guys i will try it and get back to you

Yup, sounds like a bit of oil. Remember, don't go crazy and kill the plate, jest heat it up and see If It'll do the trick. At this point, what have you got to lose, right?

well guys as much it hurt me to sit and slip a chlutch until it smoked and stunk like he## i might add it seams to have fixed it atleast until it is coated in oil again so i guess this means i need to stop being lazy and pull my motor and fix my oil leak lol

you may be able to cure that leak without pulling the motor, it would be really worth the time to redo the pan and seal gasket as a try before pulling the entire engine.

you may be able to cure that leak without pulling the motor, it would be really worth the time to redo the pan and seal gasket as a try before pulling the entire engine.

Absoutely correct! it's a heck of alot easier to drop the pan, do the seal, and hope the clutch will be good to go for a long time. But glad to hear the little old school trick worked out for you. :D

ya been out running around with the top off :) and the chlutch is perfect thanks a million i realy didnt want to pull the motor and as dumb as it sounds i didnt even think to try and pull the pan in the jeep thanks again

ya been out running around with the top off :) and the chlutch is perfect thanks a million i realy didnt want to pull the motor and as dumb as it sounds i didnt even think to try and pull the pan in the jeep thanks again

I'm glad we could help. Enjoy the ride! :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom