CJ-7 clutch

CJ-7 clutch

cdlongjr

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 Jeep CJ-5, 1987 Wrangler YJ, 1974 J-10
Here's another problem. I have a CDL & have driven trucks all my life. The 258-6 banger runs great. I have to rev up the engine & slip the clutch to get her moving. I usually stall a couple of times as I was taught to keep the engine@ idle & let the clutch out. No way can I do that w/ the Jeep. Is this the norm or do I need a new cltch disc? I have about 1" of free travel.
Thanks

Well, that 258 definitely doesn't have the torques of that Cummings diesel you have been driving, nor does that CJ have nearly the low 1st gear... You always have to give it a little gas and slip the clutch. After a bit of practice you should get the feel for getting the revs up to about 1200 or so (even less after time) and being able to feather the clutch and the throttle so your start is very smooth... It just takes a little practice... :)

An inch sound ok to me, what tire size and gear ratio are you running? If you're overtaxing the gear weight tire ratio, it'll bog off the line like that, and generally just be sluggish. My 258 is just fine off the line in high range, just the normal little bump off of idle and let the clutch out. I run 410 gears and 32's.

look at my post in the what tires and axles thread. listen to the engine as it comes right off the line. Hear how it drops the revs then picks back up? Thats due to the tire size (35x12.50) and the gears (3:73s).
what happened is the torque of the engine at the RPM I launched at wasn't enough to overcome the drivetrain combo, and it almost stalled. Normally I launch at around 5000 RPM, but for some reason I tried to launch from close to an idle this time.
You really do need to slip the clutch to get started with the smaller engine you have. bump the idle right off the line to about 1000 or 1200 rpms and slip the clutch and you should be fine.

BTW, I am also a trucker. Been driving for 14 years. Always good to see another trucker/Jeeper on the boards.

Thanks guys. Clutch was better yesterday. Guess settin' 3 years, she needs to be driven.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks