CJ-7 Drive Shaft Lenghts after a T-15 to T-18 Swap

CJ-7 Drive Shaft Lenghts after a T-15 to T-18 Swap

Rescue Diver

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7 with a fiberglass body and 1982 wide track axles, 258 I-6 with a 1995 4.0 head, HEI distributor, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, T-18 wide ratio tranny, Super Lift Springs and 33s, a 1997 BMW 328i, and a 2010 REDLINE CONQUEST TEAM Cyclocross Bike. :)
Oops, I meant T-150 , not T-15 . Too bad we can't edit the title.

I have some questions regarding CJ7 drive shaft lenghts after doing a swap from a T-150 to a factory original 1979 T-18 out of CJ5 .

Why is it that none of the parts sites seem to offer a rear driveshaft for a 79 CJ7 with a T-18 ? I was hoping to find out how long it should be from them.

When they list the collapsed lengths, are they measuring from, the center of the U-Joint cups, the furthest edge of the cups, or are they measuring the actual drive shafts themselves?

The rear driveshaft that came with my jeep, but wasn't the right lenght for front or back with the T-150 is now the correct length for the front with the T-18 . It seems to have enough clearance so it won't rub when the suspension is compressed? Is there any reason why I shouldn't use the larger diameter old rear driveshaft on the front?

Last edited:
The place to go for drive shafts is Tom Woods Custom Drive Shafts. They are stronger than stock and cost less. I once had a drive shaft repaired locally for $350 then I bought a custom drive shaft from Tom Woods for $224.
Here is how you measure the drive shaft length: you measure from center of U joint to center of U joint. Example 2 is the most common measurement.
working_length.gif

You can use the old rear drive shaft in front if you are sure it is the correct length. Measure and double-check.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom