Build Thread CJ5 Custom Modular Hardtop

Build Thread CJ5 Custom Modular Hardtop

ijeeper

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ5
I'm building my own hardtop for my '77 CJ5 and if there is enough interest, I'd be happy to post the progress and costs. I know hardtops aren't the most interesting things on a Jeep, but my age is driving me in the comfort direction. I just installed AC after owning the Jeep for 20 years.

Please don't redirect this post to Rally Tops where you can purchase a new fiberglass top any day of the week. They have a great product, but this is a build forum and that's what I like to do. Build stuff.

Here's the hard top layout:

4 piece modular system; top, 2 side windows, and rear hatch with window

Top cover fastens to my roll cage, sides tab into the tub at the bottom and use 2 quick release fasteners at the top cover.

Rear hatch uses 2 quick release hinges at top cover and seals to the sides and at the tub.

Rear profile will be a swept curve where rear hatch window will also be curved to avoid the ugly, boxy, flat look like you see on all factory tops.

Bestop 2-piece soft doors, bottom half covered with steel. I want a standard roll down window, no slides, but haven't figured that one out yet.

The side and back pieces can be easily removed at your campsite with a Philips screwdriver and stored in a tent. Water tight, insulated, plastic tinted windows that can be easily replaced as needed.

No paint, entire top is disguised as a soft top by covering with marine grade water proof boat canvas. Removable painted parts can easily be scratched, the canvas will take care of that issue.

I'm interested to watch this project develop. :popcorn:

Please post your project, I'm a ways out yet, but am toying with the idea of building a hard top for mine.

This is the soft top I made 4 years ago. I kept the BesTop Doors, and made the rest. No zippers, no screws, just the two cinch straps in the back hold it together. The side windows and rear are sewed onto a frame that keys into the tub at the bottom. The rear lifts like a hatch. The bump in the rear is part of the roll cage and will be replaced with a straight tube since I don't need the head clearance for rear passengers anymore. The hardtop will start where this one left off. It has worked well for four years.

You should also note the side mirror is mounted to the soft door. Best safety upgrade ever.

dsc00622.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom