cj5 flywheel ring gear replacement

rekocisko

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1996 turbodiesel 2 door Tahoe,
1975 CJ5 with 4.2l in-line 6, and
1972 CJ5 with 304
This may be a dumb question, but here goes. I know how to change out the ring gear on my flywheel, and how to disconnect the engine from the bellhousing, and so on and so forth. What I am unsure of, is what would be the easiest way to separate the engine from the bellhousing(and Transmission ) while the drivetrain is still installed in my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l CJ5 ? Do I need to leave the engine in place, unbolt the driveshafts, and drop the Transmission , or do I need to use my hoist and pull the engine? I figure I can do it either way, just curious as to anyone's thoughts on the easiest way to do so. I am missing some teeth on the ring gear of the flywheel, and it needs to be replaced(the ring gear). Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Robby.:notworthy:

Robby, unless you need to pull the engine for other work, I think just drop the tranny and unbolt the bell housing would be easier. That's the way I have done it to replace the flywheel.

I always just take the grill (and some times the fenders) off and pull the engine. Pulling the grill on a CJ is very easy and quick.

Thanks for both of your replies, it sounds like either way would work just as well as the other. I just need to start working on it and knock it out. Thanks, Robby.

Robby, unless you need to pull the engine for other work, I think just drop the tranny and unbolt the bell housing would be easier. That's the way I have done it to replace the flywheel.

I already replaced the cam, and have been needing to replace the rear main seal anyway, but my engine stand is currently occupied by my AMC 304 . So, I don't have any other place to put it.

I always just take the grill (and some times the fenders) off and pull the engine. Pulling the grill on a CJ is very easy and quick.

This method is a back saver for us old farts:)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom