CJ7 Running hot continued.....

CJ7 Running hot continued.....

rfonte7

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 cj7, SOA with 1.5 lift springs, (stock to my knowledge) SBC350, th350, 203 trans case, stock front and rear axles 3:73's, superior 1 pc in rear, 33 x13.50 swampers
Hey guys, this is in addition to another thread I posted a week or more ago. Thanks for all the replys. My Cj has a 350 and I put a 160 thermostat in it and it runs 185 down the road but goes to 220 in the woods pretty quick. Was running 220+ all the time before the stat replacement. It has NO shroud. Some guys recommened I run Contour fans. If I don't do that, do you know what shroud at a junkyard that MIGHT fit my cj? I was thinking of replacing the water pump and fabbing up a shroud to see if that will get my temps down when offroad, then I will do the fans if not. I'm not REAL great at electrical, and I'd like to avoid it if possible. Also, some guys say stay with the flex fan, some say switch to electric. I have an aftermarket 17" flex on it now. I run no heater at the moment. Should I replace pump and go back to a 185 thermo and fab up a shroud, or go electric? I'm not sure my pump is working that well anyway because when I look in the filler, the water isn't moving much if any and when I rev engine it moves just a little. Also, do you need a shroud top and bottom or just on top? Sorry the post is so long!!! I'm a newbie still!!!

Please fill out your profile with your mods so we all know what you have.

i'd switch to electric man. the wiring is not difficult at all, if you are not confident in coming up with your own wiring, you can get a controller for it at your local auto parts store and it will have all of the directions you need for the install. something like this http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Adjustable-Thermostatic-Fan-Control-Imperial_3670006-P_N6003C_P|GRP2061A____
there are also write ups on the subject look here http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f49/useful-info-thought-id-share-665/

Thanks for filling out your info.
Do your have a Transmission . cooler? (other than the one built in the rad.)If not running one will help keep the engine cooler while off roading.

Yes, there is an external cooler in front of the radiator

Have you burped your coolant system? I have a friend who overheated their rig after installing a new radiator due to air bubbles in the system.

With the engine cold, take off the radiator cap and start her up. Let it run until the thermostat opens and you feel the upper hose get hot. Watch for bubbles in the throat of the radiator - if there are any in the system, they will work their way out as it runs a little.

If you go electric get a variable speed controller. The parts store ones are ok but i have burned out the relay in them and they dont nearly work as well as the flexalit variable speed controller I use now.

Ok here is what i have found in the past, i had my Jeep running a flex fan and i was always running hot like 225, then i when back to the original heavy steel bladed fixed fan. Helped but still, changed the Stat to a 185f ( running it as low as a 160 will pretty much be like running non since it'll most likely stay open in the trails thus not regulating and letting air cool the hot water in the rad). My 2 cents. The 185f stat helped me drop down about 10deg.

I then added the shroud, helped another 5f. Then i used 2 heater inlet grilles that we have on the cowl on the tub, cut to openings in the hood and voila, another 10deg down. Guess heat was building up under the hood. After that i went on to an all alumimium rad to bring me finally to a respectable 190, in the trails while it's 35 deg celcius outside.

Now i run my CJ7 with a 360, stock V8 rad, stock steel fixed fan with the shroud and a 185 stat and during the really hot summer months i stay at 200 max in the trails, idling for hours.

I do have a Derale, adjustable electric fans controller and a Spal 16" electric fans for sale if you want. Never did any good on my new CJ7 . For some odd reason both Jeep never ran like another. So i went back to all manual and ditched the electric setup.

But that's me!

stick a piece of paper on the grill while it running to make sure the fan is pulling air in and not pushing out i had a friend who had a similar problem and the fan was wrong

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom