Clutch issue

Clutch issue

mfour161

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ-7, 4-Cyl 2.8l, 4 Spd Manual.
I might have mentioned this before if so here it is again.
Use brake master cylinder cap gaskets to plug the holes in the floor.
They come in various sizes and just pop right in and only cost a few bucks.
You can find these in the isle at your local autozone with all the misc :dung:,
door handles, etc.

master%20cyl%20cap%20gasket.jpg

My seal that i have on the cap has a tiny little hole in the center, im not sure if that hole should be there or not, but my clutch has been having problems disengaging and i think its because the hole releases air into the system or something... im going to try to replace the seal and add more hydraulic fluid, but if anyone has any ideas what else it could be let me know.

The pin hole in the cap seal shouldn't be causing problems. I would think that if the clutch isn't disengaging, your master cylinder isn't porting fluid back into the reservoir as it should.

Well I decided to try to plug up the hole by putting some sort of rubber peice in between the seal and the cap, just to see if it helped. I cut out a peice of rubber glove and bunched it up and stuck it between the seal and the cap and i haven't had one problem since, so im pretty sure it was the hole. However, I have been told that the rubber from the glove will deteriorate over time and may get peices into the fluid, so im going to try to replace the seal soon. Thank you for the help and i'll make sure to keep updated if any more problems arise.

I think that little hole allows return air pressure to release thru the cap so the fluid can return to the MC.Correct me if I'm wrong someone.
Mike

The little hole is NOT the problem, and you need that hole to allow pressure to balance within the open reservoir. If by plugging the hole you made it work, It would stand to reason that you are getting blow by at the piston, and need to rebuild or replace the unit.

I found a replacement master cylinder for a good price:
1983-1986 Jeep CJ7 Clutch Master Cylinder - Clutch - Sachs 83-86 CJ7 Clutch Master Cylinder - 2206-01083249 - PartsGeek
Im pretty sure this is the right part, if i replace this it should be all set, correct?

That's not a guarantee. Have you replaced the slave cylinder, or are you sure It's at least good? Is there any leaking fluid or wetness anywhere around the piston cup? Is there any fluid leaking by the master cylinder? Often you will see evedence of fluid dripping down the firewall from the inside, under the dash.

no i checked no fluid was leaking out from the inside or anywhere around it, the only place where it looked like it was leaking at all was out of the cap, and it didn't look like it leaked very much, which is why i came to the conclusion that it was the seal on top. But i already ordered that master cylinder so im going to replace that and if im still having problems then i'll look into it more..

no i checked no fluid was leaking out from the inside or anywhere around it, the only place where it looked like it was leaking at all was out of the cap, and it didn't look like it leaked very much, which is why i came to the conclusion that it was the seal on top. But i already ordered that master cylinder so im going to replace that and if im still having problems then i'll look into it more..

Just curious, how many miles are on the clutch?

Everything is all original, it has 84,000 miles on it, nothing has been changed on it as far as i know. Its in mint condition, with only a few small rust spots, it was taken care of very well.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom