clutch issues

clutch issues

tn trooper

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 cj-7 304 v-8 3 spd. dana 20 t-case.
Hey guys, when I shift my jeep into reverse or 1st gear it makes a noise no problems going into gear but the noise aint right. It has a brand new clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing. could it be as simple as needing the linkage adjusted.

Hey guys, when I shift my jeep into reverse or 1st gear it makes a noise no problems going into gear but the noise aint right. It has a brand new clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing. could it be as simple as needing the linkage adjusted.

Do you have a sound clip or can you explain the noise a little better? Did you put grease on the inside of the throw-out bearing before you installed it... there should be a little groove on the Inside to put grease in. This helps it slide over the bearing retainer "tube" smoothly. What tranny do you have?
Check you linkages and make sure you have the proper play/travel before engagement.

The clutch may be dragging and not fully disengaging. This would be most noticeable when you are not moving.
You should have about one inch of free play to the clutch pedal before the clutch starts to disengage.

Jeep-CJ5-CJ7-CJ8-Scrambler-Clutch-Linkage-Components-Parts-Diagram.png

First check over your clutch linkages to make sure something isn't out of place. The clutch fork (part 3) pivots on a ball. To adjust the clutch pedal travel you need to screw part 4 and 2 apart to make that assembly longer.
Check out this link:
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/correct-clutch-pedal-travel-specification-1522/#post58425

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom