clutch, linkage, bell crank

clutch, linkage, bell crank

rfieldsusa

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
80 CJ7
I am having clutch problems. i replace the clutch in my 80 CJ7 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . it had a lever type pressure plate, i replaced it a diaphragm type along with plate and throwout bearing. after installing, there seamed not enough adjustment to disengage the clutch. linkage was all wore out. so all the linkage was rebuilt and installed. still not disengaging fully. on the bell crank there is a long and a short arm. with the long arm to the fork it seams to work properly but there is some misalignment in the rods. with the short are to the clutch it alien but wont disengage fully. i have read on a couple of forums and have found people stating both ways. what is the correct way?

I am having clutch problems. i replace the clutch in my 80 CJ7 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . it had a lever type pressure plate, i replaced it a diaphragm type along with plate and throwout bearing. after installing, there seamed not enough adjustment to disengage the clutch. linkage was all wore out. so all the linkage was rebuilt and installed. still not disengaging fully. on the bell crank there is a long and a short arm. with the long arm to the fork it seams to work properly but there is some misalignment in the rods. with the short are to the clutch it alien but wont disengage fully. i have read on a couple of forums and have found people stating both ways. what is the correct way?

The motor & Transmission mounts also come into play, because one side is attached to the frame & the other to the bell housing.;)
I eliminated the factory bellcrank setup & went with a hydraulic master cylinder & slave cylinder setup. It works much better.:D

All three of mine (AMC 232 i6 , AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , AMC 304 ) have the longer straighter arm going to the pedal and the shorter more bent arm going to the clutch fork.

Seems to me there's a difference in height between the diaphragm-type and lever-type pressure plates - the diaphragm-type was used on the 304s and the lever-type was used on the I6, so the clutch fork may not be the right type for that pressure plate...

thanks, i looked at many break downs and it is showed the bell crank both ways. i have not found a manual that states anything about it.
i have compared the pressure plates and the diaphragm type is maybe an 1/8 inch taller. i researched and the diaphragm type requires about 100/1000 more travel.
i have replaced clutches on other vehicles and it made no difference on the type pressure plate used. i have tried researching different adjusting rods or forks for the different type pressure plates, but have not found anything different. i bought the clutch in a kit so the throw out bearing plate all match.

My rig has the borg & beck style clutch with the 401 V8.
It had the standard bellcrank setup, before I changed to the hydro style.
Does your bellcrank have new plastic inserts?

Is the clutch fork properly seated inside the bell housing?

yes. fork is seated firmly. i tore it all down a second time, thought that was the problem. rechecked everything, put it ack together, hooked up linkage and tested before i stabed the trany. i can not find a problem any where.

yes. fork is seated firmly. i tore it all down a second time, thought that was the problem. rechecked everything, put it ack together, hooked up linkage and tested before i stabed the trany. i can not find a problem any where.

I hope you can use this.DSCI0135.jpg

...and...

r85mhw.jpg

dca9s1.jpg

Lessee... the first is about a '74 and the second is an '85. They're nearly identical. I'd'a used the '74 for both shots, but the pedal's not attached (neither is the tub). The '75's got exhaust in the way so I couldn't get any great shot of the bellcrank-to-fork link on that one.

There are benefits to having several Jeeps in various stages of disassembly. :)

Lessee... the first is about a '74 and the second is an '85. They're nearly identical. I'd'a used the '74 for both shots, but the pedal's not attached (neither is the tub). The '75's got exhaust in the way so I couldn't get any great shot of the bellcrank-to-fork link on that one.

There are benefits to having several Jeeps in various stages of disassembly. :)

Rodger that, over.:chug:

Here are a few more.DSCF2174.jpg

DSCF2171.jpg

DSCF2223.jpg

DSCF2173.jpg

mine is just like the pictures. then bell crank bushings are in good shape. i did not replace them, cleaned and greased them. they are not sloppy.

:mad:, thanks for all the help, i tore it all down again, 3rd time. heres where i face up. tearing it down the second time just to inspect the clutch plate, tearing it down the 3rd time,,, cluctch plate in backwards.. so i feel like a fool!!!!:eek:

:mad:, thanks for all the help, i tore it all down again, 3rd time. heres where i face up. tearing it down the second time just to inspect the clutch plate, tearing it down the 3rd time,,, cluctch plate in backwards.. so i feel like a fool!!!!:eek:

I'm just glad you got it together the right way.;)

Last edited:
yeah me too,i hated to post with egg all over my face, but, everyone was so helpful and i wanted the solution posted so the next guy might figure it out before the 3rd time. it took took three engines built by a professional engine builder to get one that worked. first engine droped a cam lob, the second lost a cam gear the thrid is running fine. it took three times to get the clutch righ,,,, so now,,," third times the charm" is the name of my jeep.
Thanks all
Rod

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom