clutch pedal blown bearing question

clutch pedal blown bearing question

jmpunited9

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 Jeep CJ-5 V-8 304 3 speed manual
I am new to this forum, so hopefully the pictures that I attached worked correctly.

I noticed over the past few weeks that my clutch pedal on my 1974 CJ5 has moved/slid left a good amount along the shaft. It was becoming closer and closer to my brights switch on the floorboard when I would press the clutch in. Unfortunately I delayed fixing it and it apparently slid far enough to the left (along the shaft) that the roller bearings on the left side of the top of the clutch pedal became exposed and fell out everywhere. Many of them are non recoverable. I removed the pedal a few minutes ago and the rest of the roller bearings fell out as well.

My questions are:

a) are these bearing replacements available or is it easier to just buy a new pedal all together (are the pedals available with the bearings in there?) These bearings are a complete pain in my rear because they fall out extremely easily.
b) Does anything besides just pressure from the roller bearings, onto that steal shaft, keep the pedal from sliding left and right? To remove my pedal I was able to just lightly hammer it to the left to slide it entirely off. Assuming I can now find a replacement and tap it back on to the right, should I just rely on the pressure/tight fit to keep it in place? My pedal was slid so far to the left when the bearings fell out, that the bumper that keeps the pedal from rising up all of the way wasn't even hitting the pedal, which then caused my linkage below to have too much slack and disconnect at the pressure plate. I have been happier.....Thanks guys.

Attachments

• DSC_0201.jpg
    DSC_0201.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 463
  • DSC_0203.jpg
    DSC_0203.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 434
  • DSC_0206.jpg
    DSC_0206.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 333
  • DSC_0208.jpg
    DSC_0208.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 386
  • DSC_0210.jpg
    DSC_0210.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 818
It looks like Morris sells the bearings. -->> Jeep Clutch Parts for Jeep CJ5, CJ7, CJ8, Scrambler at Morris 4x4 Center (#17)

Not sure about the force required to hold the pedal but I can take a picture of my setup when I get home.

Use a good coating of grease on the bearings and they should stay in place for you to slide the pedal back on the shaft. Your right though, it is a royal PITA!

I just recently heard that there could possibly be a snap ring that holds the pedal from sliding off to the left naturally. I'm assuming maybe it snaps on to the end of that metal shaft. I also wonder if they make just cheap ol bushings. If I can avoid these bearings, I WILL.

Also, another part that confuses me is the adjuster rod at the end of the linkage. Going by this link, http://www.cj-jeep.com/cj5-6/images/clutchlinkage.jpg , I can find #7 and #8 all day long on numerous sites, but the odd thing is that when I pulled mine off I noticed that my #8 isnt like any I have ever seen. The ball at the end is much larger. It almost appears as if a larger ball was formed/welded around the smaller one to prevent it from pushing through. Are these sold like this? Or has mine been modified. Please look at the picture in this link below, and then the picture I took of mine. Thoughts? http://www.cyberjeep.com/images/5351209-t.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0212.jpg
    DSC_0212.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 453
  • DSC_0213.jpg
    DSC_0213.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 396
  • DSC_0214.jpg
    DSC_0214.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 344
I just recently heard that there could possibly be a snap ring that holds the pedal from sliding off to the left naturally. I'm assuming maybe it snaps on to the end of that metal shaft. I also wonder if they make just cheap ol bushings. If I can avoid these bearings, I WILL.
I can't find an exact replacement for the bearing that would be a bushing, but that doesn't mean one can be modified to fit. It wouldn't take long for a competent machine shop to wip you one out in just a few minutes. Or, I bet McMaster Carr has some thing that you can modify. -->> McMaster-Carr

As for the snap ring, I believe you are correct. I was not able to get to my pedal assembly last night, but will check this afternoon
Also, another part that confuses me is the adjuster rod at the end of the linkage. Going by this link, http://www.cj-jeep.com/cj5-6/images/clutchlinkage.jpg , I can find #7 and #8 all day long on numerous sites, but the odd thing is that when I pulled mine off I noticed that my #8 isnt like any I have ever seen. The ball at the end is much larger. It almost appears as if a larger ball was formed/welded around the smaller one to prevent it from pushing through. Are these sold like this? Or has mine been modified. Please look at the picture in this link below, and then the picture I took of mine. Thoughts? http://www.cyberjeep.com/images/5351209-t.jpg
There are so many variations of those wear adjusters on the market and many have been modified over the years by the PO's. I know I kept welding mine up for years before I bought a new one.

So did you ever gt this sorted?

I talked with a few of my early CJ friends and we think that your PO was pretty smart, he welded up your adjuster so it wouldn't break through. You can always weld a bearing race in the TO fork for the ultimate longevity! It will last for ever! Also, if the TO fork is welded your good to go.

As for the bearing to bushing issue. Did you look at the link I provided? McMaster Carr has an excellent assortment that should get you close.

yes, after replacing some of the clutch linkage parts and bearing cages for the clutch pedal, i now have a fully function clutch that engages 3x lower than before! thanks all!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom