Clutch problems

Clutch problems

kovacjr

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
02 Silverado Z71 5.3

72 CJ5 304, 3sp, 2.5" lift, 33x12.5
Ok so I have a 72 CJ5 with a V8. Ford T-18 and the 6.5" bellhousing. The clutch I was sold has a round throuout bearing and diaphram clutch. The fork with the 6.5" bellhousing does not work and we reused the 8.5" housing fork. The problem is the clutch does not fully disengauge like its not fully releasing. Do I need the correct form for the 6.5" housing and get the clip on throwout bearing?

The clutch came from Herm the OD guy along with the bellhousing for my swapping of the T-150 3sp to the T-18 .

P2210011.JPG

I think the fork is your issue. With your clutch linkage attached to the end of a longer clutch fork you get better leverage pressing on the clutch pedal but you get less movement at the throwout bearing.

Nothing to do with leverage or fulcrum points as the linkage is loose and still not fully letting the clutch grab. Like the bearing it bottoming out against both the short bellhousing and the clutch diaphram.

The fork that we used was from the 8.5" bellhousing. When we put in the fork that is called for the 6.5" the clutch would depress as we installed the bellhousing using the larger round bearing. So we switched to the orignal fork that was with the 3sp. Now the other fork uses the clip in bearing where my clutch came with the grooved round one. Should I try the other fork and order the clip in bearing? With the round bearing the other fork will not function.

Originally I thought you meant you had a short shift fork and were putting in a long shift fork.
What is 6.5 and 8.5 inches? I now realize it is bellhousing length (from engine to tranny). Is that right?
I would think you would need to use the shift fork that came with the bellhousing but it doesn't sound like that worked.
What make is the bellhousing? I have installed a ford 18 into a Jeep CJ7 with a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . I reused the jeep bellhousing and drilled new holes to mount the T-18 . I'm not sure if that is possible with the jeep V8 bellhousing.
EDIT: no it is not possible. The bellhousing length must match the tranny input shaft length. I would get more info about the bellhousing and fork from "Herm the OD guy".

Last edited:
Yes the T-18 I needed the short bellhousing being I orignally had the 3sp. if I kept the long bellhousing my drive shaft would be at a great angle. Plus it is the AMC part that matched the ford T-18 if you ordered the jeep with the 4sp. With the 3sp thay installed a longer bellhousing to line up the shifters in the cab. (So I figure)

I tried the short bellhousing fork but with the bearing I have I think I run out of room for it to function. There are 2 listings for the throwout bearing one a round grooved style and one a square flange with 2 clips. Its been 6 months since we pulled the tranny and we are still searching for the orignal bearing to see what was in there. orignal clutch was a 3 finger. new is a diaphram. do these interchange? That is what I was told...

There is also 2 listings for the forks. One for the short bellhousing with the square boot and one for the long bellhousing with the narrow boot.

Do you have the long or short bellhousing on yours? I had to swap as the opening for the 3sp was smaller than the input shaft bearing retainer on the T-18 . What fork and bearing are you using?

orignal clutch was a 3 finger. new is a diaphram. do these interchange? That is what I was told...
Yes, the 3 finger clutch can interchange with the diaphram clutch.

Do you have the long or short bellhousing on yours? I had to swap as the opening for the 3sp was smaller than the input shaft bearing retainer on the T-18 . What fork and bearing are you using?
I have a AMC 304 mated to a T-18 and my bellhousing is 7 inches but the engine, bellhousing and tranny are all jeep.
If you have a Ford T-18 the input shaft is a different length than what I have. I don't see how you could use a jeep bellhousing. The input shaft on the Ford T-18 is 6.5 inches. That's why you need a 6.5 inch bellhousing. We need to find out more about the bellhousing you are using.

BTW I no longer have the CJ7 that I put a Ford T-18 into. I took a T-5 out of that Jeep and both the Ford T-18 and the Jeep T-5 had input shafts the same length. In that case I was able to reuse my bellhousing.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom