Clutch question

Clutch question

Out of my mind CJ5

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
74 CJ5
scrap built CJ7
I just finished putting a 360 in my 7 and was curious to what kind of clutch i should get for it. i have a T-15 3 speed that i will be trying to put in it if i cant find a 4 speed. the thing is im expecting almost 400 hp out of the motor and i know the stock clutch wont hold that so any suggestions? also has anybody ever done a hydrauic swap for the clutch pedal if so what was used?

I just finished mine in my 3b
4.3 ,sm465, dana 18 twin stick
I used a master cylinder from a 86 toyota 4x4 napa has $26. also a slave cylinder from a 86 toyota 4x4 $32. and a custom sized hydrolic line to fit my jeep $40. I needed to make a bracket for the slave cylinder to mount it but it was a very easy task

Did you take pics? we can write that one up and sticky it if you have pics
isn't it weird that the hose cost almost more than the rest?

I just finished mine in my 3b
4.3 ,sm465, dana 18 twin stick
I used a master cylinder from a 86 toyota 4x4 napa has $26. also a slave cylinder from a 86 toyota 4x4 $32. and a custom sized hydrolic line to fit my jeep $40. I needed to make a bracket for the slave cylinder to mount it but it was a very easy task

Not trying to hijack here but I would like to see and here more details on your 3B too, I have one that is waiting for something like that to happen to it.
Maybe post a 3B build with any pics and info you got, just an idea.

I need to get all picts gathered up but I never got to document some but its came a long way
now I need to find a brake master cylinder that will work with the drum brakes needs to be the pull style piston

For a good performance clutch look to Centerforce. I have used their clutch in my CJ7 I used to have. For your 400hp engine you should go with the Centerforce II. Great holding power and long lasting. Good for off-road and high output engines.
If you want to go one step further they also make the Centerforce Dual-Friction clutch. It's geared even more for the high performance engines.

Replaced the T-15 in my CJ5 with a T-18 granny 4 speed. That T-15 doesn't have the gears for Rock Climbing but does alright in the sand and mud. Haven't done the hydraulic clutch yet. It's suppose to be sweet but so far I have had no problem with the mechanical assembly. The Center Force is definitely the clutch of choice for those horses to.

Tommy

What are we talking about? A '74 or '75 CJ with a Dana 20 TCase?
Good news is those years came with T-18 's in many CJs. Bad news is the older jeep T18s might be hard to find and they could have high mileage.
It must be one that was mated to a Dana 20 TCase (isn't that what you have?). Only these trannies will have an output gear that is needed to mate up to your Dana 20
Start searching the internet, eBay, Craigslist.

The '72 through '76 CJs had a T-18 without the granny low. '77-'79 came with the granny low T-18 . I found mine on E-Bay and luckily didn't have to pay the shipping. They are plenty heavy. You need an adapter to marry it to the Dana 20 Tcase. I was lucky enough to find one that had it already. It is not an easy swap out but probably the single most beneficial thing you can do as far as I'm concerned. The climbing ability is night and day and I don't have lockers, yet...... My original Bell Housing, I have an '81 CJ5 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , worked fine but I needed a new clutch because the splines were different. I also had to get a new short input shaft. All in all the swap cost me about $500 and 5 days work for my brother and me.
Good luck.

Tommy

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom